Setting up a new tank. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a new tank. . .

I suppose I'm going to set up my other 40-gallon breeder tank, but I'm not sure what I want to do with it. . . any suggestions (including saltwater)?
    Tell your boss you need to go home to take care of your "cichlids." It sounds an awful lot like "sick kids." )

Frag tank
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

You mean, like growing out the frags on a shelf base?

Honestly, I have 100 ideas, but I hadn't thought about that! It's certainly an intriguing idea. . . I appreciate it! Keep them coming.
      Tell your boss you need to go home to take care of your "cichlids." It sounds an awful lot like "sick kids." )

Comment

Yeah like frag racks made of egg crate.

When I did my reef tank I soon realized when I finished dumping the cost of a used car into a 30g that I was more into collecting than actually reefing.

I like all the different LE and designer name brand corals and a frag tank would have allowed me to collect them all more organized.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Brackish paludarium. About 3 of the smaller, less aggressive type of mudskippers, bumble bee gobies, 2-3 small crabs, some Amano shrimp, mangroves, and some little pieces of cypress root for climbing up on. Tank about 1/3 filled with water. Have enough "beach" area that the mudskippers aren't constantly in a turf battle--just half the time--lol. Use an internal power filter--or you could use a canister filter with a spray bar cascading over the back wall maybe. Then if you were real handy you could have 2-3 little pools at different levels flowing down into one another.
          Last edited by Bedlamer; 01-18-2012, 04:41 AM.
          While I'm not reef ready, I am salt ernate lifestyle curious...

Comment

i like mangrove tanks, i had one with archerfish and scats once. i had never thought of trying amano shrimp in brackish, i guess i have it stuck in my head that they prefer softer water. bumblebee gobies are a really fun little fish to watch too. i got some acclimated to a regular salinity tank and it was cool to seem them perched on plants.
            75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
            28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
            12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
            29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
            45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
            33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Honestly, I've always loved that idea, but it is similar to one I've been saving for a large, shallow tank. . . I liked the idea of archers and Anableps.
              Last edited by TonyO; 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

These guys are pretty cool: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...nogobius-zhoui .

Expensive though, but if you're considering a frag tank, this would certainly be in your budget as well. :)
                All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

that would be a cool species tank bee! i had not seen these before
                  75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                  28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                  12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                  29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                  45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                  33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
                    that would be a cool species tank bee! i had not seen these before
                    They're pretty awesome to watch. And Fish Gallery gets them in occasionally and can order them if you ask them to.

Comment

I saw a few while cruising aquabid!
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by aquabee View Post
                        These guys are pretty cool: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...nogobius-zhoui .

Expensive though, but if you're considering a frag tank, this would certainly be in your budget as well. :)
                        If the prices I just saw are accurate, then they're certainly within any budget I would put together for this set-up. . . but I'd make darn sure that tank is stable before I bought them. They're interesting, too, and something new for me. I'm putting them on the consideration list.

I do want to add that when I moved down here, I bought a couple of 40-breeders (and some other tanks). . . then, I placed a huge equipment order. So, I have the bulk of everything I'm going to need (filters, wood, heaters, etc.), though I will have to get a new stand, because I mangled one when I went all "Dukes of Hazzard" in my truck over some train tracks. Wicked air! If some of you saw the pile of empty tanks and equipment I'm sitting on, you'd probably punch me right in the mouth. I'm moving with the year, though, so I don't want to deal with literally two tons of tanks during that process.

Comment

Well, the curse of my current tank continues. . . in 24 years, I've never had so many issues with one tank before. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say, I'm essentially starting over. I was so bummed out, I didn't go to the GHAC meeting because I didn't want to be around "fish people."

Since there's nothing I can do about that now, I'm going to take the opportunity to do some things with that tank that I wanted to do initially (but didn't), then move on to the new one. . . went to a couple of stores this weekend, and I have an idea on decor, and now I'm going to start thinking about stocking. I'll wait, of course, until I'm satisfied and comfortable with the water test results, before I put any more fish in there. Glad I went "fish shopping" this weekend. It was therapeutic.

Comment

Sorry to hear, Tony. I know how that can be... but I'm confident that something awesome will come from all this stressful crap, even if you can't see it now. I hope things settle down soon.

You definitely were missed at the GHAC meeting. You know, we hardly ever end up talking fish so next time show up! Good food, lotsa booze, and hilariously weird people. Good luck with the tank Tony!

Comment

Tony --

Like the local crack dealer, I'd feel remiss in my duties if I didn't offer you some starter shrimp for a tank.

Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Working...
                              X