SOS Can someone please help me? I need more muscle to hook things up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOS Can someone please help me? I need more muscle to hook things up

I just spent hours trying to connect new hoses to my filters for my 90g, and when I got it all started up, I have leaks everywhere. I just don't have the strength to push the hoses on the connectors as far as they need to go or to tighten the clamps as much as I need. I can keep fighting it, but I'm just exhausted, and this is taking forever. My house is a wreck, and if I don't get this done now, I'm going to lose my chance because I'm already back in school with grad classes.

Can someone please come over tomorrow (Sunday) and help me get this stuff connected? None of it's hard to do. It just takes more muscle than I have.

All I'm doing is changing out the hoses on my canisters. One side has an inline uv sterilizer and the other side will have an inline co2 reactor. That's all. Nothing fancy. The tubing I'm using is vinyl braided tubing (like this stuff, but 3/4") which I've used on some of my other tanks. It's harder to work with, but is better tubing in the long run.

I'll be happy to trade anything extra I have that you might want, maybe my left over bucket of NLS cichlid food? Or if you're into planted tanks, I'm sure I have plants you will enjoy. Or fake plants for cichlid tanks. Or rocks. Or whatever. I'd just really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!
    Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
    • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
    • 29g Planted - Journal
    • 29g Planted
    • 5g Planted RCS

Boil the hoses. Makes life easier
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
      Boil the hoses. Makes life easier
      +1
      Just boil the ends of the tubing and slide them on the fittings while they are still hot .

Comment

You can also use a blow drier set on high.
        http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

if you were closer or Gas was $.30 a gal. again. I would be happy to come help. But, you can heat the hose ends and it will make them soft and easyer to get on...
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

If you don't get it, I could swing by tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Well, I've managed to convince my husband to help, but he's not good at this kind of stuff and he's fighting me already on some of it. He knows absolutely nothing about aquariums so I'm having to explain the tiniest of things to him. But maybe I can get him to do what I need. Here's hoping!
              Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
              • 29g Planted
              • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Oh, boy, this is going to be fun. Here's how it's starting out.

I want to move the power strips up so they're not in the way of the hoses. They came with brackets which restrict their placement so I thought it would be better to drill holes through the ends to screw them in directly rather than using the brackets.

So he starts drilling through the plastic using a barely charged rechargeable drill and discovers there's metal inside the plastic. To him, that means game over!

I had to convince him to get the electric drill and use a drill bit for metal to drill the hole.

His response, "Yes, it did make a difference. A hole!"

Today's going to be a long day.
                Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                • 29g Planted
                • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Good luck, he sounds like my sister's husband lol.
                  75g Tank,
                  2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
                  2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
                  10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
                  10g Tank
                  Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

He's great with a lot of things, but not this kind of stuff. I blame his adoptive father. His father only had an 8th grade education so whenever my husband tried to do something while growing up, he was told he couldn't do it (meaning, he'd mess it up). I think it was his father who couldn't do it so he projected it onto my husband. As a result, he never learned how to do anything like this and came to believe he was unable to do it. I see it all the time with even the simplest of things. It's very frustrating, especially since he's a Mensan so he's definitely not stupid. He's just not good at this kind of stuff.
                    Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                    • 29g Planted
                    • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Yrah samething here but isntead of him doing it he was raised as to ask some one to do it or pay them to do it. The 1st time he gon on the attick as married the felled thru it
                      75g Tank,
                      2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
                      2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
                      10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
                      10g Tank
                      Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Well, I thought he had one hooked up, but he got the intake and outflow backwards. Ugh!
                        Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                        • 29g Planted
                        • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

It is 4pm, and the first canister isn't even connected yet. I'm so frustrated, I'm about to put a fire sale on the whole damn thing and be done with it all.
                          Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                          • 29g Planted
                          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Wow... never thought it would be such a pita to get someone to help you out.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you still need help, call me.
                              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Working...
                              X