Ropefish/freshwater eels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ropefish/freshwater eels

Anyone ever had any success in keep these with malawi? I've read of some success, problems with feeding mainly. What if I trained it to eat pellets in a smaller tank with less inhabitants? Hmm...

DO IT!

I always thought or thought of ropefish to be ferocious eaters.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Ive heard of ropes and some of the upper jaw types of bichir kept eith malawis before
      mmm...pancakes

Comment

Aethiomastacembelus shiranus is a native spiny eel from Malawi and I have seen them kept in tanks with their biotope specific areas. I see them up on aquabid regularly, but they can be fairly pricey and expensive.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

I kept a ropefish for several years with a variety of malawian and tang. cichlids. It fed exclusively on earthworms...never could get it interested in anything else.

Mark
          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Hmm... I have an itch. Sometimes it turns into a twitch if I don't hurry.

Comment

They had a solitary Tanganyikan Mastacembelid at Ultimate Fish a few weeks ago, not certain how it would work in a Malawi setup. I doubt it would be far different then one from Malawi though. I know a few other shops do carry them, just call and check around. I'd try Fish Gallery and Fish Ranch and possibly City Pets. As to a Ropefish, I would not recommend them in that type of a tank. Most starve with anything that won't let them eat slowly or actively eat all the food and from what I've seen on the Malawis I have kept they are always ravenous. They are actually quite chill and don't appreciate very boistrous tankmates, I would keep them with a schoal of african barbs (smaller) or tetras (jelly bean), possibly a few Butterfly fish as they would not compete for a food source. Synodonts would hog all the food and kribs would stress them out. Perhaps a few african annual killies or even some Morymids or african knife fish in a large enough tank might work. They love plants and will hang out in them all the time if there are enough.
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

Working...
              X