200g show tank build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200g show tank build

I did a lot of searching online and talked to several retailers and finely came to a decision. I decided to go with a new tank since this will be on display at my business and didnt want to setup a used tank that already had defects. I ordered a 200g reed ready, 72x24x27", from Deep Sea Aquatic with a black stand & canopy from their sister company(don't know the name). Shoould arrive in about 2-3 weeks.

I already purchased a used aqua clear 200 wet dry but I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it. I will definitely be adding a large canister filter, most likely an Eheim 2262, but I haven't decided whether I want the wet dry with it or want to add another canister.

This tank will be an African Cichlid mixed tank, but have been considering the addition of a few Leopard Eels or possibly an Mbu Puffer. Only issue with the puffer is that they seem to grow so quick and don't want to worry about him nipping off the fins of all my fish.

More to come in the following weeks.....
    Last edited by NDsuperduty; 08-25-2012, 10:53 PM.

I would go with two canisters and wet/dry, but that's me. The MBU may not be a choice. They get quite large and like you said, they might make a snack of your fish.

Comment

200g show tank build

Was putting a level to the floor where my tank will go. It appears the floor is pretty level long ways, but coming away from the wall the floor lowers slightly. Given the tank is 24" deep I would guess it would be about 1/8-1/4" difference. On a smaller tank i wouldnt bother but with a 200g is this a big enough difference that I should try to fix? If so, what is the best way to level out the stand? I could cut a 6ft long shim about 1/4" thick to run along the front side of the tank but then the sides will not be flat to the ground. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I would cut that six foot shim. As for the sides.....you won't even notice the 1/8 or 1/4 from the floor .

Comment

I agree or simply cut 1/8' shims from a 4x4. Thats what I did on my 210 to level it out. Now I do want to ask this, sorry if I missed it, carpet or tile?
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

200g show tank build

It's a painted concrete floor. If I do the shim only on the front will than weaken the stand since the sides are not touching?

Comment

if its a minimal shim no. I re-enforced my stand before i even set it up, not saying you need to. but an 1/8" wont weaken it (unless the stand is already damaged) for quite some time (10+ years IMO), that is unless you water damage it or something.
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

I'd just level everything. Thats just me cause when you add the water, tank, sand and etc on the stand all that weight might shift the wood work a little then the doors might not close right etc.

Comment

200g show tank build

Thread still sucks because I don't have any pictures to show but do have a few updates.

As I said above I have a wet dry that will have the intake and returns plumbed through the overflow. I have an Eheim 2262 ordered that is being delivered with the tank, and if there are enough holes it will be plumbed through the internal over flow as well. I believe there are 5 total holes which would be enough to plumb both the wet dry and 2262 but i will figure it out when it gets here. I also purchased a used Fx5 that will be on the tank to get things started but not sure of it will stay long term. The wet dry and Fx5 are cycling right now so hopefully they can get my tank running and cycled really quick.

To heat the tank I purchased 2 Jäger 300w but I had no idea how long they were. I was hoping to put them in my wet dry but they will not fit at any angle. So now I have 3 options. Option 1, I can put them in the tank like a normal person but I was wanting to avoid this to keep the tank very clean looking. option 2, buy smaller heaters which would probably result in needing 3-4 heaters taking up a lot of electric outlets and probably using up more electricity. Option 3, buy or build a longer/custom wet dry that would allow me to get the heaters submerged. I like option 3 the best but have to figure out the cost.

I have also decided that I want to try keeping an Mbu Puffer in this tank. It's a risk sense he will not be alone in the tank but I really want one and think customers will love it.

For the substrate I have 60-100 lbs of the black and white Eco-complete African sand from an old tank that I plan to use. This sand is dry, so no live bacteria but I am planning to buy another 60-80lbs of new Eco-complete white sand. I wanted to do all white sand but I'm not gonna let the black and white sand I have go to waste.

I think that's it for now. Should have some pics late next week of the install
                  Last edited by NDsuperduty; 09-06-2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

This build is going to be epic
                    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

As a tradesman. I have a lot of tools. in the old day we use water levals. Now we use lazer. A 1/4 of an in. isn't a lot but this is a business so I am sure you want it to look not just great but Fantastic!! So Leval the sand using shims thin add a maching toe molding around the bottom. that will give it a clean look at the floor and the top of the tank will look fantastic....
                      I really look forward to seeing this tank....
                      Last edited by troy tucker; 09-06-2012, 09:46 PM.
                      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

200g show tank build

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
                        This build is going to be epic
                        Haha, I hope it lives up to expectations. I can honestly say this is the first tank I've done where I didn't have to skimp on something because I didn't have the money. I mean I have a budget, but everything I want to do is within it.

Troy, thanks for the advice.

Comment

200g show tank build

Tank came in today. Filled it up until it was about an inch from the overflow and started cycling the water with my 2215 that I use at home. I'm working on the durso intakes and the return plumbing right now. Hope to have the wet dry and 2262 running by tonight.

There is a canopy but it's off.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347487621.189138.jpg

Comment

Re: 200g show tank build

Nice tank and stand!

Why are you cycling the water?
                            http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

You mean without fish? I am going to add fish this weekend. The main reason I wanted to get the water moving is because it is a little cloudy from the sand. Figured the more filtration it gets the faster it will clear up, even the 2215 is nothing for a 200g its a start.

Comment

Working...
                              X