Aquasoil or LPFS for 210gal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquasoil or LPFS for 210gal?

I have a 210gal that I want to make planted, but I'm not sure if I want to get LPFS or ADA Aquasoil. Fish will be Exodon Paradoxus (red, silver, black, with tint of yellow). Plants will be an assortment of low/med light plants. Which would you think would look better? I'm stuck between the two...
    LPFS
    71.43%
    ADA Aquasoil
    28.57%

the lighter colored pool filter sand

stick to ferns for plants so they can be attached to driftwood, Vallisneria nana or Tanganyikan val in the background behind the wood scapes. Just pot the vals or do a narrow section of aquasoil capped with the PFS just where you plan to plan the vals.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I've seen your planted tanks... for the 210 that would be a lot of aquasoil... a lot of wasted aquasoil.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

So which bag is the lighter color PFS?

Comment

Think it was the blue bag...
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

+1, I think the aquasoil would be super nice, but insanely expensive to grow low/medium light stuff. LPFS does a decent job for us with the addition of root tabs and dosing. If you added a CO2 system you'd be even better off.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

I like the PFS but I voted Aquasoil. The plants will like it more. But what ever you use. I look forward to seeing it all come together.
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I think the aquasoil would look better for planted tank if price is not an issue . Congrats on big tank

Comment

You could also put sand under soil and leave about 2 inches on edge of tank for soil only

Comment

Originally posted by KhmerStyle View Post
                    You could also put sand under soil and leave about 2 inches on edge of tank for soil only
                    No thanks. I'm not a fan of capping off. Looks tacky.

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                      +1, I think the aquasoil would be super nice, but insanely expensive to grow low/medium light stuff. LPFS does a decent job for us with the addition of root tabs and dosing. If you added a CO2 system you'd be even better off.
                      I haven't decided if I was going to use CO2 or not. I don't know if I want to chance it and possibly kill some livestock. I've never used a CO2 system and I'd feel much safer if I were to try it on another setup before trying it on a larger tank.

Comment

After reading some more and checking out some more pics, the fish seem to have better coloration under darker substrate.

Comment

if you got pockets go with the ADA
                          175 tropheus Chaitika
                          125 tropheus Ujiji
                          90 tropheus Nkonde

Comment

There's a lot of cons with the ADA, it's not a long term substrate or at least left as it is, long term. Also it doesn't like being tossed around a lot since it is a baked substrate.

There's a lot of cons with the ADA especially if you won't be having anything spectacular to utilize the benefits of the substrate.

If you want darker substrate why not go with dark sand or something that's cheap and easier to work with.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Haven't decided on anything yet. I might go with the darker sand, but I want something a bit more coarse than what I had (which was the coarsest they stock). The sand compacted and gasses were trapped in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X