Clear All

Great looking fish!
    215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
    180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
    58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

nice pickup !!

Comment

10-day Update video. They're flashing their blue colors, but the yellow really hasn't come out yet. They're looking healthy to me though. eating like horses.

Comment

They're finally starting to establish dominance. A whole lot more action in the tank now!

Comment

Nice update

Comment

Wow! Look at those flashes. Lookin good. Can't wait to see the paracyps in there too!
              All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Very nice and looking terrific
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Woke up to a female holding today. Not a big mouthful, but it's a start. First one of the colony. Going to let a few batches grow up in the tank.

Comment

Sweet!
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

I swore I didn't have a female that was over 2", but Bertha here is as big as the males, pushing 4"!

Comment

Ours breed at 3-4" and are fairly regular. Ours lost quite a few of the first batches and the fry were large, but harder to raise then I realized. Sponges over the intakes helps a lot. Powdered flake and they'll eventually grow and be strong enough to avoid the filter suction.
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

I'm sure I'll eventually strip them after 12-14 days or so and toss in their own tank to grow. I read that you only get around 3-5x 0.75" fry as muture breeders from cyps, so it will be interesting what happens if you actually strip them

Comment

We tried, I would recommend not doing it. The result was awful and we lost the entire batch. They are hard to strip and gauging days is tough. The female spits out good sized fry and they are large enough once they come out to do well on their own.
                            Desiderius Erasmus
                            GHAC President

Comment

Stripping too early will result in the fry possibly dying. Cyps are more finicky than most other Africans. And the number of fry you quoted is not correct from my experience. I've helped my friend strip his cyps and the numbers are always 10-15. Cyps are harder to strip than trophs and they die easier with stress, so be careful.
                              210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                              125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Looks like I have a second female holding now too. Small batches, unless their mouth doesn't really fill up until the fry start growing. I'll get a better feel for what I'll do once I let these fish spit on their own these first couple months

Comment

Working...
                                X