Water Softener Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Softener Systems

Is anyone using a water from a softener system in their freshwater tank? If so, what brand? Any thoughts/cautions/concerns with using a softener system for tanks?
    -j-

Don't ask me, I don't know. I'm just visiting the reality and can't wait to go home.

Do you mean an ro/ di water system?
    75g Tank,
    2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
    2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
    10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
    10g Tank
    Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by R_sustaita View Post
      Do you mean an ro/ di water system?
      No. Water softener is different. RO/DI will bring pH down to 7 and crystal clear free of excess minerals. Water softener can get the pH lower, but doesn't do the same thing as RO/DI

Comment

To OP, what fish are you keeping? Most will acclimate to Houston Tap.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
          No. Water softener is different. RO/DI will bring pH down to 7 and crystal clear free of excess minerals. Water softener can get the pH lower, but doesn't do the same thing as RO/DI
          Oh
          75g Tank,
          2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
          2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
          10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
          10g Tank
          Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

I'm keeping some angels, a gaggle of mollies, lemon and Columbian tetras. And the softener system would be for the whole house, not just the fish; we're getting a new house built and looking into a whole-house softener system.
            -j-

Don't ask me, I don't know. I'm just visiting the reality and can't wait to go home.

Comment

We have no use for water softener. A good carbon filter or RO/ID would be better for fish.
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Doesn't a softener change all the minerals out to sodium and make the water bad for fish?? I would think the hardness would be way off too. ???

200 - African cichlids
                72 - Salty Bow Front
                33 Cube - community
                10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Yes, it does. It removes carbonates and replaces them with more sodium. I've done some tests on a friend's water from his water softener and it was VERY soft but the PH was unchanged and the TDS was about 270 ppm - 100ppm lower than my tap water.
                  -j-

Comment

I imagine the mollies will be fine. The South Americans will feel very similar to how they have felt thus far with tap. The TDS is not drastically reduced and as far as reproducing their environment for breeding would still require a RO/DI unit and manner to lower the PH. Everything should be fine with a softener system otherwise.
                    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                    Desiderius Erasmus
                    GHAC President

Comment

Is there anyone here that actually uses water from a whole-house softener system for their tanks? I'm not worried about the mollies ... heck, they'll live in brackish water. And while I add (just a touch) of salt to the water already, I am concerned that the softener would put more salt in the water than I'm comfortable with.
                      -j-

Comment

Working...
                      X