Water changes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water changes???

Did a quick search, and didn't see much.

How often should I do a water change on a tank that is in its first months of being established?

36 gallon
    7 cichlids
    Under gravel filter
    aqueon 30 filter??

50% every week should be good. That Aqueon filter isn't good enough. I would get a bigger filter. Aquaclear 70 should be plenty

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

You definitely need a bigget filter.... and depending on the cichlids you will need a bigger tank before long too

Comment

His stock list is on another thread.

Comment

water changes are the most important things. I do 50% ones a week on every tank I have.
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I do 90% weekly water changes on my 125 but it's heavily stocked and I feed them well

Comment

I like to do 100% every 2-3 days, but a good point to start off is 50% a week.

Comment

Looks like I'm glad I bought a python

Comment

oh yea I do 120 percent water change lol just kidding 50 percent water change is good. If you don't have a carbon filter, stick to 50 percent wc anymore would be a little risky with some fishes since Houston water is not consistant.

Comment

I stopped with the python took to long I use 1 1/4" pvc to drain and a rv hose to fill

Comment

I would do a 30% every week. Your stock is not overwhelming
                      175 tropheus Chaitika
                      125 tropheus Ujiji
                      90 tropheus Nkonde

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymisty View Post
                        I stopped with the python took to long I use 1 1/4" pvc to drain and a rv hose to fill
                        Lol same here. I'm using 1" hose to drain though. Regular hose on the side of the house for fill. I have no patience with the python.

Comment

The python will work good on your 36g tank. Most tanks bigger then 75g take an hour to drain down. 300+gs. will take all day.
                          I use 3/4" to drain and 5/8" RV water hose to put back. I alsouse Amquel plus ammonia detoxifier. Becuase our water has a lot of chloramines.
                          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                            50% every week should be good. That Aqueon filter isn't good enough. I would get a bigger filter. Aquaclear 70 should be plenty

According to his post he is using an undergravel filter also.

Comment

Originally posted by CRW View Post
                              According to his post he is using an undergravel filter also.
                              Yes I know. I'd still consider that not enough filtration. Aquaclear 70 is pretty cheap and will be plenty enough filtration. I think nickintex was selling one fairly priced.

Comment

Working...
                              X