No announcement yet.

Aquarium maintenance help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purigen > carbon. This has already been established several times in other threads. OP mentioned the driftwood has been in the tank since it was started. It'll still cause tannins, but it shouldn't be much. A gravel vac isn't necessary and due to most having small hoses, it'll take a long time to drain even with a venturi.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Also I would try not to constantly remove the vinyl tubing from the pump and return. It'll loosen the tubing and eventually you'll have to cut it to get a tight fit. Imo I would just replace it with black tubing or pvc to prevent algae growth inside the return.

Comment

Don't want to start a new thread but I've noticed at least 2 of the clown loaches and the red tail shark flipping on their side rubbing in the sand. Does anyone know what it is and what I should do?

Comment

Originally posted by frusterdated View Post
          Don't want to start a new thread but I've noticed at least 2 of the clown loaches and the red tail shark flipping on their side rubbing in the sand. Does anyone know what it is and what I should do?
          Are they showing signs of anything? Anything on the gills or scales or fins? How are the other fish? It may be an external parasite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Originally posted by aquabee View Post
            Are they showing signs of anything? Anything on the gills or scales or fins? How are the other fish? It may be an external parasite.

I don't notice anything on the gills or scales. Just noticed the clown rubs his side to the driftwood as well

Comment

Did you just do a water change?

Comment

I don't notice anything on the gills or scales. Just noticed the clown rubs his side to the driftwood as well
                Clowns act really weird sometimes but if the others are acting the same way, it might be something. When in doubt, I treat with Tetra Parasite Guard. Easy enough to do with only weekly water changes.

Comment

Careful if you have inverts. Use Prazipro if you have any inverts in the tank. Ingredients in Parasite Guard can kill them. I would do an immediate water change and add Epsom salt with Aquarium/table salt for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                    Careful if you have inverts. Use Prazipro if you have any inverts in the tank. Ingredients in Parasite Guard can kill them. I would do an immediate water change and add Epsom salt with Aquarium/table salt for the time being.
                    +1

Comment

Check for white spot on fish... Rubbing action can be external parasite, ick ... Very common
                      I have the patience of a goldfish....

Comment

I think you need to do bigger water changes. 50% or more. Do a big water change. 75%. Next day Do another 75% water change. Add 1 table spoon of aquarium salt per 10g. Your water will clear up.
                        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I haven't done a water change in a week, and I have no inverts. I just checked and my sharks color has faded. What does Epsom salts do to the tank?

Comment

I haven't done a water change in a week, and I have no inverts. I just checked and my sharks color has faded. What does Epsom salts do to the tank?
                            Epsom salt promotes healing and also flushes out their digestive tract. Aquarium salt also promotes healing. Adding both after the water change will be good. Like Troy said, do a bigger water change. I'd recommend 75-100% water change. It might not be ich. It could be, but you don't want to chance it. If it is ich or flukes you want to hit it before it begins to start. Also raise your temperature to about 80F. At the same time, dose Tetra Parasite Guard.

Comment

I am coming into this a little late, but the rubbing can be parasites or even if the water chemistry is off. The scratching along sirfaces can cause wounds, so thats what the epsom salt is to help protect against infection too. When more than one fish exhibit the same behavior something is off. I have never used epsom salt before, but read about it when one of my fish had popeye for its healing properties. Turning up your temp to 80F or so like mistahoo said will cause any parasite eggs to hatch quicker and get eliminated but the Tetra Parasite Guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X