Africans and Snails...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Africans and Snails...

A few months back my son bought a golden snail and put it his 55g with African cichlids. It seemed like the snail didn't move much at all. During the day it wouldn't move at all, then over night it might have moved a little. Well one day, we looked at his tank and there was the snail or I should say the shell. The snail was long gone. So fast forward to yesterday, my son bought a black mystery snail from the pet shop. For like 5 hours it never moved, so we thought it was dead. Later that night we went to another pet shop to pick up something else and he bought a golden snail and some other white snail. He put them in next to the black snail and they didn't move all night. When I checked on them this morning they were all in the same spot. So I took the 3 snails out and put them in a breeding cage in the same tank. Next thing I know they are all out cruising around the cage. So my wife has a 13g bow front with one black snail and 4 small blood red parrots in it. The snail in her tank we bought at the same time as my sons and its doing fine.

Are the african cichlids harassing the snails to the point they don't come out? Or will they kill the snails?
    Can I take the 3 snails from my sons tank and put them in the smaller tank? Will it cause any problem with her blood parrots? She would take me out if something happened to her fish.

Thanks Chris.....

What kind of African cichlids are in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone by one of my fish
    All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

I'm not sure what they are called, sorry. I can take a picture of them if you need it.

Comment

Malawi cichlids are notorious snail eaters, so my guess would be that therein lies your issue. They should be fine with the Blood parrots and might actually breed. MTS and Assassin snails are a better fit in your sons tank as they usually can bury themselves in the substrate and a very decent sand sifters in that regard. If your looking for something to take care of the detritus and excess food synodontis species are great and from the same lakes in Africa. I have heard bristlenoses are another good option. There are some Labeo species from Malawi and could be utilized if they match with the temperament of the other tank inhabitants.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
          Malawi cichlids are notorious snail eaters, so my guess would be that therein lies your issue. They should be fine with the Blood parrots and might actually breed. MTS and Assassin snails are a better fit in your sons tank as they usually can bury themselves in the substrate and a very decent sand sifters in that regard. If your looking for something to take care of the detritus and excess food synodontis species are great and from the same lakes in Africa. I have heard bristlenoses are another good option. There are some Labeo species from Malawi and could be utilized if they match with the temperament of the other tank inhabitants.
          Having the 4 snails in one tank shouldnt be a problem for her blood parrots? The bristlenose, is that a pleco?

Comment

Yes the bristlenose is a pleco, Just make sure it is big enough or your cichlids will kill and eat it as well. As previously mentioned Most african Cichlids love to eat snails. They will not live very long in a african cichlid tank. But with the Parrots you may be okay as long as the parrots are not huge, then they may decide the snails could be tasty.

Tom

Comment

I'm sure those mystery snails will be fine with the Blood Parrots, I keep snails in most of my cichlid tanks. Mine are just not snail eaters. Malawis are known to be, its just not very common knowledge. As for your son's tank, I am not certain as to what the purpose of the snails were exactly for. If it were due to algae control, I'd recommend a stout bristlenose pleco. Certainly sized appropriately, but it should handle the job and has an impressive arsenal should anything get too friendly. For detritus and excess food, I would go with one of the synodontis species. My personal recommendation would be Njasse (indigenous to Lake Malawi), but Petricola, Decorus, Mutipunctus, or even Lace or upsidedown catfish would work as well. If snails are what he wants and prefers, Assassins and MTS should do well enough as they bury themselves and should occasionally be seen. As we have seen any excess would be greatly appreciated by the rest of the tank inhabitants.
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                I'm sure those mystery snails will be fine with the Blood Parrots, I keep snails in most of my cichlid tanks. Mine are just not snail eaters. Malawis are known to be, its just not very common knowledge. As for your son's tank, I am not certain as to what the purpose of the snails were exactly for. If it were due to algae control, I'd recommend a stout bristlenose pleco. Certainly sized appropriately, but it should handle the job and has an impressive arsenal should anything get too friendly. For detritus and excess food, I would go with one of the synodontis species. My personal recommendation would be Njasse (indigenous to Lake Malawi), but Petricola, Decorus, Mutipunctus, or even Lace or upsidedown catfish would work as well. If snails are what he wants and prefers, Assassins and MTS should do well enough as they bury themselves and should occasionally be seen. As we have seen any excess would be greatly appreciated by the rest of the tank inhabitants.
                My son is 6 years old and he justed noticed a while back at the pet shop that they had snails he could put in his tank. I guess we didn't realize that the cichlids weren't compatible with the snails. But all this info really helps out, I will go ahead and move them to the other tank for now.. Thanks for the help...

Comment

Working...
                X