Betta pairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta pairing

I recently bought a light blue half moon betta, how can I find a female? What do i look for?

Depends on what you are trying to achieve via breeding? Half moons? Light Blue offspring? There are quite a few breeding sites directed solely at bettas (the hybrid and true species). The IBC (International Betta Congress) is a decent place to start. Otherwise locally start hitting up Petcos and Petsmarts looking for light blue half moons and see what you find.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Generally you won't find any halfmoon females at petco/petsmart. I've only seen plakats and crown tail females. They're also much too small to even attempt to breed, as they won't make eggs and they'd just get pummeled by the male.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 4

Comment

+1 agreed with Mistahoo, I remember seeing females there though I remember there only being 1-2 types. Separate tanks are a must and they can be a handful when they finally breed and you have 100 offspring that has to be in spate containers with daily water changes. There used to be a few folks that bred them locally, but I have not seen them on recently. I think Clay (clayt101?) in La. breeds them and might be able to offer some advice and pointers.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

is this for the .5 gal nano tank you mentioned in another post? if you just put a female in there with a male, he will more likely then not kill her. i have never tried breeding bettas, but i hear finding a partner is a delicate trial and error. agreeing with mnemenoi and find someone who has experience breeding them successfully

Comment

I heard betta pairing is a big job to do
            I have the patience of a goldfish....

Comment

Ek used to breed them a long while back. From what I've been told, they're easy to breed, but a PITA and the fry are extremely slow growers. The male will most likely kill the female. You want them kept separate until it's time to breed

Comment

One way to breed is to wait for the male to make a bubble nest. Then when he does, put the female in his tank but still separated with a see through cup or container. Let the male get riled up for a while and then let the female out. Boom babies

Edit: Female has to be old enough though

Comment

And definitely need a bigger than .5g tank, IMO.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
                  "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                  X