High Ammonia in Tap Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Ammonia in Tap Water

I just ran a set of ammonia samples on my tank today and I was above 1 PPM. Grabbed my python and of course it didn't want to take suction. Finally got it flushed out and working properly. Got suction going in preparation of maybe a 70% WC....while it was draining my tank I did a sample on my tap water. I'm showing right about 1 PPM there too....is this a just a sampling kit issue or is something up with the water? Can I ask anyone in the loop to do a tap sample just to make me feel better please?

chloramines show as ammonia, but prime or a dechlorinator binds it into ammonium which is safe and eventually broken into the nitrogen cycle.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Well i double dosed Prime so hopefully I'm all set. It will still show as ammonia on samples though right?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Indeed even Ammonium still reads as Ammonia. Chloramines read as well
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Ummmm.... With that said, once I add prime I should just assume that my ammonia levels are fine? Filtration wise I am fine... Stocking levels are currently within limits. I just have a hard time blindly having faith in a product despite what my readings are showing. Lol. Yup I be one of those over analyzing types. Hahahhaa.

Comment

I have never had amy issues with Seachem stuff. I certainy understand the concern though
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
              I have never had amy issues with Seachem stuff. I certainy understand the concern though
              I appreciate it man. I was over here having a fit. Lol

Comment

Houston water is Bad. I don't even think its safe to drink.
                Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Time for a carbon bottle. Talk about doing your fish a favor with one of these. I highly reccomend them. If you are keeping expensive fish you should invest in one of these prior to keeping them. Way to many water condition spikes in the area. Save those fish! Carbon bottles are a fish's friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Timber317 View Post
                    Time for a carbon bottle. Talk about doing your fish a favor with one of these. I highly reccomend them. If you are keeping expensive fish you should invest in one of these prior to keeping them. Way to many water condition spikes in the area. Save those fish! Carbon bottles are a fish's friend.
                    I have been searching for a carbon bottle but being a woman, I want something that is portable enough to get out of the closet, hook up to my python and do my weekly water change. I can't break my back with a huge bottle. If anyone has a suggestion or retailer (online or local) please let me know. I think a out the possibility of a tragedy often with not using a carbon bottle.

Comment

Guess I have some research to do

Comment

carbon bottles are certainly the way to go
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by michelleraia View Post
                          I have been searching for a carbon bottle but being a woman, I want something that is portable enough to get out of the closet, hook up to my python and do my weekly water change. I can't break my back with a huge bottle. If anyone has a suggestion or retailer (online or local) please let me know. I think a out the possibility of a tragedy often with not using a carbon bottle.

Where could I buy one of these? I want to get one immediately if no sooner.lol.

Comment

many folks make them, but I think you can buy a carbon house filter and some adapters for a python to tie it in
                            Desiderius Erasmus
                            GHAC President

Comment

check out water filter housing and carbon blocks. All you would need is the connection adapters for a python
                              Desiderius Erasmus
                              GHAC President

Comment

Working...
                              X