Water Change and a few other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Change and a few other questions

Question 1: I currently use a python for my weekly water changes on my 215 gallon and it just seems to take forever. I like the simplicity of it but is there a quicker way that is still easy?

Question 2: I need to clean my eheim for the first time and I am a nervous wreck. I do not currently have my media in a bag and want to put it in a bag when I clean it for simplicity down the road. What would be the easiest way to get it in the bag and still keep the media in aquarium water. Can the media be out of water for any length of time?

Question 3: Do you have to lube the gasket on the eheim. If so, with what?

Question 4: who wants to come supervise so I don't screw anything up? I don't want help, just a supervisor :)

Remember I am new so be nice and don't beat me up.

Thank you.

Make yourself a "python" as long as you don''t mind draining it to your yard or garden versus wasting the water in the sink. I use about 20 feet of spa flex 1-2" tubing connecting to a head I made out of pvc with multiple connections so I can change the level of water I want to change in the tank. For bringing water back in, I also used this system, but I like using a water hose in conjunction with the homemade python. I just prefer fast removal of the water but slow replacement of the water.
    300+RR (8-10 ft x 30"x30") - Waiting to find it... Lake Tanganyikan
    225RR (72"x24"Wx29"H) DSA - Lake Tanganyikan WC Murago
    210RR (60"x24"Wx32"H) AGE - Lake Tanganyikan WC IN PROGRESS
    160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
    90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
    90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope

Comment

Here's my opinion(freshwater):

1. On my 125g I used to use a python with a high gph return pump connected to it and I disconnected the water hose to drain with it also at the same time. Then, I would reconnect the water hose outside and turn it on full blast to fill the tank while adding Safe. Do you have a 2260(2)? You could also use backwash feature.

2. You can have the media out of water to put it into a mesh bag.

3. I never lubed any of my gaskets. If they were to ever go out on me I would buy a new one. Never had one do so. Someone else chime in?

4. I'm too far.

Comment

Too far but not 4 Skype if you are really that worried.

Comment

Originally posted by rmalford View Post
          Do you have a 2260(2)? You could also use backwash feature.
          I have a 2260 and a 2262. What is the backwash feature?

Comment

Connect a hose to the extra valve towards the bottom of the filters and open to drain from there. Drains more of the crap in there.

Comment

Working...
            X