Tank mates for white cloud minnows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank mates for white cloud minnows

Sounds weird I know but I'm setting up a new 37 gallon for a ton of minnows. I recently lost my newt of 20+ years. He was housed in a 20 long and the minnows were his only companions. Anyway, the minnows bred like crazy and I don't know what to do with them except give them a bigger home. Looking for suggestions of suitable tank mates. This will be a cooler temp tank. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

There are quite a few different loaches that come from nearby regions. Some of the hillstream types are good choices as well as Mini Moth catfish. Maybe some of the mid range barbs could would and help fill in some of the center dimensions. Redline, Odessa, Mascara and Clown barbs should work well in a tank that size.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

I haven't heard of these but will look them up. Think I had read dojo loach would be ok. Do local fish stores carry?

Comment

They can be found, though they will take a bit more looking/calling and command a bit higher price. Dojo loach and any of the weather loaches will work, but they can be a bit messy. If you are looking into a riverstream tank (White Cloud biotope essentially) perhaps look into the Rhinogobius species (I think Homeless Aquatics had some awhile ago for a very decent price). Here is a very good article on a WCMF biotope set up I happened across a little while back.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Thanks for the article. Omg looked up hillstream loach, cutest thing ever, definitely want. I will using a ehiem canister and aqua clear, both oversized for tank Think I should add a power head for additional motion?

Comment

There is a terrific layout article on hillstream tanks over at Loaches.com, here is the link. Sunkenmetal and Wesley have both done large custom Hillstream tanks locally and have build threads with their recommendations and what worked on here, just search hillstream and they should show up. I think they both had them breeding before they changed to something else...
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

Beautiful. Thanks again.

Comment

White cloud danios are great fish ... and incredibly under-rated in my opinion. Just remember that they are cold water fish. I see them in tanks with heaters all the time
                Mnemonoi provided great options of tankmates for you.
                Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Think some barbs are cool water fish too. Thiink Sewellia and Gastrimyzonspecies are great.

Comment

I had a hill stream loach and I feel that it died to insufficient flow. Looking at some youtube videos, some people have multiple power heads blowing in one direction in the tank. Dojo loaches can usually be found at Petsmart of all places, I have two in my garage tank - super hardy. Will get fat if you over feed them, like hot dog fat.

I loved my golden white cloud minnows, but when I was setting up my tanks I had them in a tank with two rope fish. They were an expensive treat for my rope fish.

Comment

Went by Fish gallery today and they have some hillstream loaches, very cute. I am going to add wave makers to the tank.

Good to know about Dojo, don't want my minnows being food. Btw mine are the plain silver ones but very pretty. Have plenty if anyone interested

Comment

Tank mates for white cloud minnows

Can you place a pic of your minnows?
                        Last edited by DoubleDutch; 10-17-2013, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Not the best photo, I'll try to get a close up.

Comment

Ahhhhh they're nice. Females full of eggs!! Is that an alligator in your tank hahahaha?

Comment

Working...
                            X