Powerheads in freshwater tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerheads in freshwater tank

I need some opinions and help with regard to powerheads. I have a 215 gallon tank with Malawi Haps and some clown loaches and a couple of plecos. I have two powerheads for water movement. For filters I run an eheim 2260 and 2260 both from bottom of the tank. Do I need the powerheads for these fish? These are my problems. 1) they are butt ugly with the cords and the actual powerheads 2) I am not sure if they are helping or hendering the filters from doing their job since the filters are hooked up to drilled holes in the bottom of the tank 3) they move my substrate around and I am constantly have to put it back 4) I am not even sure if they are placed correctly. Help me solve my powerhead dilemma. Thank you.

1. Your solution is a Vortech MP40wES with no wires inside the tank. If you don't like the price, guess you'll have to overlook the butt ugliness of the regular powerheads

2. Powerheads can serve to levitate detritus into the water column so that filters can grab them.

2, 3, & 4 are also related to placement of the powerheads as well as flow rate. You'll have to move them around and see what works best for you.
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

I have a 200 also and I had to get a bigger power head due to not having enough water movement. I point mine more towards the front glass and the top of the water. My sand doesnt move unless the cichlids are digging.

200 - African cichlids
      72 - Salty Bow Front
      33 Cube - community
      10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Originally posted by BrAin View Post
        I have a 200 also and I had to get a bigger power head due to not having enough water movement. I point mine more towards the front glass and the top of the water. My sand doesnt move unless the cichlids are digging.
        Could you post a picture?

Comment

Not tonight. At college and I wont get home till late. Mine is on the right side and has 2 heads. One points straight, the other more up and towards the front.

200 - African cichlids
          72 - Salty Bow Front
          33 Cube - community
          10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Working...
          X