Fish to eat culls of other fish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish to eat culls of other fish.

I've been breeding guppies and swordtails, and mystery snails and marble cloning crayfish. I find that I would like to get some fish that would eat my culls. I have available tanks of 30, 40 breeder, 75, 125 and 210 that I could set up for this project. I've been thinking about the electric blue Jack Dempsey, and recently saw the post of the electric blue Acara(?). I've also thought about some of the different Africans. I've always considered Jack Dempsey's to be aggressive fish and there are lots of people breeding Africans in Houston. The acara's I'm not sure if they would eat the culls.

I plan to breed what ever I get so I also have to consider if there is a reasonable market for the young fish or if I need to plan on culling those as well. I am tempted to try Oscars, they do like crayfish and I've always liked them.

Any thoughts or suggestions from anybody?
    Guppies:
    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

EBJDs aren't as voracious eaters as regular JDs. Regular JDs or Oscars sound good. There are always people buying both... but they tend to be new hobbyists. You'd most likely need to sell them to several LFS because of the quantity of fry that they have at once.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Also , you ca not breed EBJD's like normal fish. If 2 EBJD's do the dance, the fry are not viable and won't make it. They have to mate with a reg jd, then take the fry, and mate it again with the ebjd, to actually get EBJD's that are viable =-)
      125g-Front/dolphin
      125g - Mix
      75g- Ilangi
      55 g- Nyererei ( Makobe Island)
      45 g- EBJD
      110- WilliamsI Blue Lips

Comment

Some of the newer pikes look very nice and only a few folks keep them, no breeders I am aware of
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Look into some lake victoria cichlids. They're aggression is rediculous and guppys wouldn't stand a chance. Plus they're easier to breed, more valuable and take up a whole lot less space than the jds /oscars mentioned above

Comment

I've raised some of the Victorian cichlids before, they are haram spawner's if I remember right. They are nice and I've got all the holey rock I used before. I'm thinking they would do well to start out in the 75 gal. Any specific species you would recommend?
            Guppies:
            Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
              Some of the newer pikes look very nice and only a few folks keep them, no breeders I am aware of
              Are they legal in Texas? I was under the impression that pikes can't be kept or sold here. But maybe that's because I really wish I could keep and raise some pike livebear's. :P They would be perfect companions to raising guppies.
              Guppies:

Comment

I was referring to Pike Cichlids, Crenicichla sp. (xingu I and Atabos are both great looking collection points), True Pikes (perciformes) are legal if purchased legally. There is one native species found here, the Grass Pickerel (have caught them locally on many occasions) and they stay relatively small. Pike Livebearers are indeed illegal, so I would not try and order any on Aquabid.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

For vics, if you want something for guppy control, go with Hap SP.44. They push 6-7" as adults. Most other vics tend to stay in the 4" range as adults. Can always go the large hap route, venestus, dolphins, sp 44 etc etc

Comment

the Pike cichlids look cool but water quality and parameters are a serious issue.
                    Guppies:

Comment

Indeed
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

I have some mbunas/malawis in with a reg JD now and they would eat anything thrown in there. everyone really gets out of the JDs way except during feeding time. none are really picky eaters in terms of frozen foods. they go through live rosy reds pretty quick, so guppies/swordtails/shrimp would be gone in my tank too to handle the culls.

Comment

Working...
                        X