Battery backup air pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery backup air pump?

I'd really like to get one that didn't have to run all the time and while it is off would only come on during power failure specifically. Been looking at the Airpod but not sure that it does exactly what I am wanting.

I think this what you need. I have one and it is only turn on when power out.
    PetMountain is the best pet shop for all your pet's needs. We offer high-quality food, toys, treats, and pet supplies at competitive prices. Our pet experts can help you find the right products for your pet. Shop today and see why PetMountain is the best place to find pet products to keep your pet happy and healthy.

Comment

What about using a UPS? It is a battery backup used for computers, so it would run a small air pump for a long time. Auto switches on when you need it and you only need one pump.

Comment

I've done research on using UPS for powerheads or something. A ~200.00 UPS generally runs a PC for 7-8 minutes after a power outage. If you put a low watt powerhead like a koralia on it, you'll maybe get an hour out of it. Those Penn plax backups are nice. I need to get a couple more myself

Comment

As Andrew said UPS only can run 7 to 8 minutes that is true because when the power out the ups need to convert DC battery to AC to support your equipment . The UPS battery have low Amp so the equipment ( run 110 volt ) will draw out the power quick so it only last less then minutes. For DIY . you need a water pump or air pump that run DC 12 volt and car battery 15A. and it would last you a week ( because DC pump need very small amp to run so less power mean run longer. ) If your pump use 3 volt you will need DC/DC Converter 12V Step down to 3.3V 3A 15W Power Supply Module cost $10 . That I will weld on the Penn plax that use 2 D battery to the covert 3 volt from 12 volt car battery and that would run so long time too.

Comment

Thanks. The Penn Plax is up to 55g. For a 240g I would need about 4 or 5 of these? Yikes. Any other suggestions?

Comment

This one runs constantly but it has a lot better battery life:

135 gal Fahaka Puffer
              150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
              185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Thanks. Looking only to get bubbles if the power cuts out though.

Comment

Picky picky. I've got an awesome dragon bubbler if you're interested
                  135 gal Fahaka Puffer
                  150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
                  185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Not sure why bubblers having a rating. All you're doing during a power outage is agitating the surface for o2. It shouldnt need to be used for filtration of any kind since I'd home you're not feeding during an outage

Comment

I have seen Hungs battery backup. It's pretty nice.
                      I have 2 generators. One will run the hole house. Fish tanks lights and the frig. Plus..
                      It does cost more but it works.
                      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
                        Not sure why bubblers having a rating. All you're doing during a power outage is agitating the surface for o2. It shouldnt need to be used for filtration of any kind since I'd home you're not feeding during an outage

True. I went with the Penn Plax and will probably only run 2. Maybe a 3rd to the media in the sump.

Comment

I have few battery operated air pumps if you need a few

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
                            I've done research on using UPS for powerheads or something. A ~200.00 UPS generally runs a PC for 7-8 minutes after a power outage. If you put a low watt powerhead like a koralia on it, you'll maybe get an hour out of it. Those Penn plax backups are nice. I need to get a couple more myself
                            With a cheap, $50 or so computer UPS you get short runtimes. As with most things, you get what you pay for. So more money can equal more runtime if you research carefully, wait for a sale, that sort of thing.

As of this posting -

For $120 you can get about an hour on a modern (non-gaming) computer that's pulling under 100 watts. - http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Ba.../dp/B0038ZTZ3W

For $165 (BR1500G) plus $137 external battery pack (BR24BPG) you could do 100 watts for over 3 1/2 hours.

BR1500G - http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BA.../dp/B003Y24DEU
                            BR24BPG - http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR24BPG-Ba.../dp/B0047E5B90

Manufacturer Runtime Estimates - http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_...m?upsfamily=27

I own an older version of the above set, and have gotten pretty close to the run times in the chart. Better when the battery is new, about half once it was a few years old. (all batteries degrade over time)

I don't know that a computer UPS would be the best answer, or that there's not something special about aquarium gear, but I would think the $300 set above could run a 3w air pump for 3-4 days if it's as simple as dividing the 100 watt estimate by 30.

Comment

Working...
                            X