Relocating, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating, need advice

I have a 175 freshwater tanks with red hooks, silver dollars and clown loaches. Several of these fish I've had for 20 years. They survived a few local moves but now I am moving to Philadelphia and am worried they won't make it. I've been reading up on shipping and transporting in car but I haven't see anything about older/larger fish. The red hooks are very large and skidish. Is there a professional relocating service? Fish gallery set up the tank originally but I doubt they'd go that far. Is the kinder thing to give them up? And if so, to whom?
    Appreciate your thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How big are the fish? My first thought is maybe a couple of large rubbermaid tubs with some kind of battery operated airpump

Comment

Maybe although it is a two day drive

Comment

The best thing if you want to keep them is to give them to a LFS and have them hold your fish for a week or two and then once you are settled in at your new place, they can overnight them to you

Comment

I moved on a multi-day trip. I used those heavy duty Styrofoam coolers (the kind Omaha Steaks use to ship steaks). I lined the coolers with heavy duty trash bags. I then used a battery operated pump with an air stone. (I drilled a hole through the top of the styrofoam cooler just big enough to push the tubing through.) I didn't lose any fish.

I did some pretty big water changes moving up to the move. A few days out I stopped feeding.

Comment

Originally posted by fishhog View Post
            I moved on a multi-day trip. I used those heavy duty Styrofoam coolers (the kind Omaha Steaks use to ship steaks). I lined the coolers with heavy duty trash bags. I then used a battery operated pump with an air stone. (I drilled a hole through the top of the styrofoam cooler just big enough to push the tubing through.) I didn't lose any fish.

I did some pretty big water changes moving up to the move. A few days out I stopped feeding.
            This was my initial thought as well, but given the size of the fish, it may not be feasible. I mean you wouldn't be able to put more than 2-3 fish in a container that size and you would still have to do a water change or add tons of prime to keep the water from getting too nasty on the way there. I'm pretty confident that this method would work with smaller fish though

Comment

And if you move in summer, the heat would stress the fishes more when they are in those coolers. If you don't have really deep memory with those fishes, starting with new fishes seem like a easier way, just my opinion.

Comment

It is plausible to get them up there is boxes, or contacting some folks that know shipping might be worth the effort.
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Seeing that you have had these fish for so long I would look at transportation options.

reach out to Don at ADG and Dave's rare fish in San Antonio.

Tim ie armthehomeless may be able to help as well.

i have a fish that's about this old and I could not leave it behind and I would want it transported in the best way possible

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Good luck in Philly. My corporate office is in West Chester have been up that way several times. Nice city

Comment

you could have them overnighted via airport to airport. it will be costly but if you want to keep the fish it is your best bet. bag them individually in Kordon breather bags.

here is a thread from MFK that might help
                        Allright, i know this will come out frequently in the near future. To all the expert fish shippers out there ( paging Neo, Trust, Community Sponsors etc ), Please give your practical tips and advice to us Fish shipping Noobs!

you can do this, you just need someone to stay behind to bag and ship the fish for you once you reach the new destination.

It won't be cheap, but if the fish are valuable to you it might be worth it

Comment

Large rubbermaid Containers with lids and portabe air pump and Sponge filters will work until you get your tank up and running

Comment

Working...
                          X