Filtration Media Choices ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtration Media Choices ...

So ... I've gotten a new Fluval 406 canister for my 45 gallon planted tank. So I'm trying to decide how I'm going to populate the chemical media.
    Right now, I've got:
    1 bag of carbon (came with the filter)
    1 bag of Fluval ClearMax (also came with the filter)
    1 bag of Purigen
    1 bag of SeaGel + extra Phosgard.
    Right now, I need to quickly reduce the phosphate levels - hence the ClearMax and Phosgard. Long-term, I hope to reduce that.
    Now, in looking at the options available, I'm in a quandary to determine what my long-term chemical filtration is going to be.
    I've looked at the many, many options from Seachem - Purigen (of course), Renew and Hypersorb. Thoughts on any of these products? Thoughts on completely removing all of the carbon? Has anyone used Renew and Hypersorb and can offer some thoughts on using these with Purigen instead of carbon?
    Thanks ...
    -j-

Don't ask me, I don't know. I'm just visiting the reality and can't wait to go home.

And for Bio, I'm using Seachem Matrix. Currently it's 1/2 Matrix, 1/2 the bio media from the old filter but I'll be removing the older bio material and fully replacing with Matrix.
    Has anyone used Matrix? Overall, I've been super-impressed by all of the Seachem stuff that I've used so I have high hopes.
    -j-

Don't ask me, I don't know. I'm just visiting the reality and can't wait to go home.

Comment

I love matrix for bio filtration, it's Seachem products across the board for me. You can totally remove the carbon if you have purigen, since purigen is like carbon on steroids. Same purpose, but not purigen lets you know when it's time to recharge

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

I have used Seachem in the past. Purigen is one of the best products they make. I have some, some place around here. But I try to keep all my tanks on a low budget plan. I haven't used carbon in years. As for bio media. I use $ store plastic pot scrubbers.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by Austy16414 View Post
          I love matrix for bio filtration, it's Seachem products across the board for me. You can totally remove the carbon if you have purigen, since purigen is like carbon on steroids. Same purpose, but not purigen lets you know when it's time to recharge
          Have you tried any of their other chemical filtration materials (Hypersorb, Renew)?
          As for Matrix, they claim that it'll provide an anaerobic environment to support bacteria to reduce nitrates ... has this held up, in your experience? What's the level of nitrates in your tank?
          -j-

Comment

Working...
          X