Nano-fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano-fish

Well getting bigger tanks is out. So it's time to rebuild my Nanofish collection.
    Just so hard to decide what to start stocking first.
    Kind if leaning towards dwarf badis ( a few species) and some pygmy sunfish to start.
    I gotta get my worm cultures going. I decided I would start an freshwater amphipod tank. I'm sick of hatching brine shrimp. I need to get rotifier cultures going too.
    I figure I will start with:
    1. Dario dario (scarlet badis), Dario sp. hysignon , Dario kajal if I'm lucky Dario myanmar ( black tiger badis)
    2. Elassoma evergladei, Elassoma okefenokee, Elassoma zonatum (a Texas native)
    Both genus are about the same size, temperament, diet, and water requirements.

Just waiting on tanks to cycle.
    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Sweet! Back in the game with a vengeance
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Looks like a nice list to me. i always liked badis. Good luck with them!

Comment

I'm on a mission. Just waiting for my new tanks to cycle. The weather is bad for shipping fish, so probably best.
        My wife is letting me put a bunch of nano tanks in my office/study, but I gotta get the walls painted before I can set up any more.
        I'm trying out the PetCo brand arc and cube tanks with LEDs. They look pretty slick.
        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I've had Scarlet Badis in the past. They are a great little fish. I need to get my hands on some Pygmy Sunfish soon.
          ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something
          fishy going on here, and I kinda like it!

Comment

Putting in my order for Dario dario & Dario hysignon, plus a separate order for E. evergladei & E. okefenokee maybe tomorrow.
            Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I never kept Dario hysignon, but I do love them. When I see Don again, I'll ask if he can get some in.
              ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Got my 8 Dario dario and 8 Dario hysiginon, the other day. They came in in bad shape. I've ordered a lot of fish from this place. Usually I get in EXELLENT fish from this supplier, but this was horrible. These fish didn't get like this over night ( these were shipped overnight rush). The Dario Dario came in sick with fungus. I lost all the males within 24hrs. I have 2 females left ( no signs of disease)or they could be 2 young males- but look female.
                Dario hysiginon came in very thin. I lost 1 of the only 2 females, but they look like they are gonna do ok. These guys are taking frozen food and brine shrimp.
                My 8 E. evergladei and 8 E okefenokee should come in the middle of this week. This is a different supplier, but has usually sent great fish. I only had 1 time I got an rider of E. gilberti- that were old and past good reproductive age ( well over 1 1/2 inches) they all died before producing viable eggs. They spawned once. Only a few eggs which rotted away.
                Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

wow that sucks to hear about the dario dario. beautiful little fish.

does the supplier have a survival policy? if you ordered from them many times before, and never complained at all, maybe they would work with you on making things right.

good to hear the dario hysiginon are ok and eating.

Comment

They sent me an email about replacement stock. They were very professional. I'm suspect of the batch. I'm opting for a discount on some future orders. I've got a huge list of stuff I want.
                    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
                      They sent me an email about replacement stock. They were very professional. I'm suspect of the batch. I'm opting for a discount on some future orders. I've got a huge list of stuff I want.
                      That's good to hear.
                      ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Sorry for the awful pics.
                        Male E. Okefenokee just colorng up.
                        image.jpg
                        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Dario hysiginon ( pic does not do justice) submissive male in front and alpha top right.
                          image.jpg
                          Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Male E. evergaldei 1/3 inch just begining to color up. They turn jet black with purple dots.
                            image.jpg
                            Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

The biggest fish in of the bunch right now is the Dario hysiginon at just slightly over 1/2 inch tip of moth to end of tail. Each species is housed separately. Aged aquarium water. pH about 7.8. Darios came in from the shipper with a pH 8. Unfortunately, these are wild caught and probably why I lost the whole batch of Dario darios. I'm replacing with RO over time and will be adding some black water extract to get the pH to about 6.5. The Elassomas came in at 7.5. They came from a breeder, that keeps them in outdoor pools. I'm still gonna drop the pH to 6.5 range. Eggs in a small aquarium tend to fungus and fish don't do as well above 7 when I kept them in the past.
                              Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Working...
                              X