Cichlid stretch marks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cichlid stretch marks?

I'd like to buy a pound from you if you wish to sell any...?
    I'd buy my own, but I just bought 6 pounds of CR45 this week.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I thought terramycin was more for bacterial infections, I'm not sure if it would work on internal parasites.  If we can determine the cause of the symptoms it will be easier to find an appropriate treatment.
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

LOOK LIKE THIS!!!  I haven't read everything yet, but this is what several of my fish look like.  Some not as bad and some WORSE!!!!

Comment

I've never personally have had a fish with this condition, but I would seperate them from the others if possible until cured or a cause is positively ID.

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I'm bumping this back up to the top for you.  I've never seen anything like this in any of my fish.  Can you remember if all the fish in the tank they came out of had this disease/deformity?  I'm leaning a little more toward a genetic deformity, which is becoming all to common in our hobby now.  If it's indeed non-genetic, then I would go with an internal parasite problem and would first try treating with Metro, but as Tracy warned, be very cautious when using Metro or Clout, they are both indiscrimate in the types of vermin they eliminate and can kill off good bacteria as well.  One of the classic signs of internal parasites is the white, stringy poo mentioned before.  It's important to monitor not only for outward signs of disease, but internal as well.

Comment

Look at this thread.

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

These are my fish who, if you look very closely in the 2nd and 3rd pic, had that shape stomach.  I never treated for parasites, but used 2 different types of antibiotics externally, and also fed a gel antibiotic.  There are also 'after' photos.  It took a few months for them to become as beautiful and healthy as they are now, so be patient.
              Our Fishhouse
              Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I remember those fish, you should have a "Fish Doctor" sign for the front of your house   .  Maybe you could even make house calls  :wink: .

Comment

I just love seeing a sick fish get better.  We have quite a few of them around here, and I always seem to form a different bond with those guys....:)  And I'll help anyone who asks...  
                  Our Fishhouse
                  Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I'm gonna go buy some metro today!  Thanks for the help people!!  GirlGeek, I think mine look a bit different than yours... the stomach is quite concave and they show no external problems.  Yours looked like the scales were white and flaky.  Great job on the fish by the wat.  I will start with sprinkling metro into their food.

Comment

Keep us updated with their progress.  The Gel-Tek product Ultra Cure PX contains Praziquantel .0057%, Flubenol .03% and Metronidazole .30% and is for internal parasites.  I've never been able to get the fish to eat the gel drops only, but it does absorb into food as well.  I don't know what LFS's in your area carry it, but I know Aquarium World on 290 used to.  It's just a little easier to use than the Metro powder, imho.

Comment

I purchased the SeaChem brand Metronidazole before I saw the last post.  Oh well, we'll see how the crystals work.  So far, I've followed the directions to mix a scoop with a tablespoon of frozen food paste.  Well, since I didn't have any paste I mushed up some red snapper that I defrosted and ate for dinner.  I added some flakes and a bit of water and ground it up in my Magic BUllet (best invention ever, BTW!!).  The med food is sitting in the freezer waiting to freeze.  I will start feeding them the meds tomorrow.  I will keep everyone posted.  BTW, my fish love them some red snapper scraps (uncooked of course).

Comment

Working...
                        X