SUBSTRATE QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUBSTRATE QUESTION

I have a 55 gallon freshwater Angel tank and i'm wanting to change the substrate.  right now i have the typical blue rocks you buy at Petco.  i want to put pool filtered sand, but i dont know if the angels will like it.  ive never seen them mess with rocks before so i dont think they like to dig.  i have an african cichlid tank and they love the sand as do my frontosas.  anyway, will the sand make any difference to the health or happiness of my angels?
    If it ain't wild caught
    You ain't doing it right

Re: SUBSTRATE QUESTION

I am no expert on Angels, that is for sure, I don't even have one in any of my tanks, but I don't believe changing from gravel to sand is going to accomplish much for you or them.....It is my impression that Angels are pretty much a mid level tank dweller who does not pick at the gravel or feed off the bottom of the tank. I would do some further research on this sand project of yours just to be sure.

Good Luck with your research....we do have a few boxers here who do keep Angels, maybe they will chime in later and share their experience with you....I could be all wet on this one????

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I have a 55 with black sand and 9 angels and it doesnt seem to make a differance.

Comment

We have angels in a tank with sand and they don't really seem to care one way or another.  :)
        Our Fishhouse
        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

might want to make sure the "switch" doesnt affect thier health....IMO

Comment

some sands buffer ph up....something do you don't want. research before you buy the sand....no worries if your heart is set on PFS.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson";p="
              some sands buffer ph up....something do you don't want. research before you buy the sand....if your heart is set on it.
              Pool filter sand does NOT affect water chemistry. You are okay there...
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I know PFS doesn't.....I have tons of it.  

What I mean is if he decides to go with something nicer than he might want to look into it.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

just incase, when you change the gravel watch out for a mini cycle since a lot of the good bacteria is in the gravel and it might set off the balance.

Comment

whatever you do, don't get the pfs from lowes or homedepot, they are crap, they look like sand from galavestion...  spend a few bucks more and get it at a pool supply shop...

Comment

thank you all for the excellent advice.  i really like the black sand, but the PFS from Leslie's is so clean looking. to me, it makes the colors of my other fish really stand out.  again, thanks for all the advice. happy new year
                      If it ain't wild caught
                      You ain't doing it right

Comment

i would either go with pfs, or my favorite sand, 1mm black gravel, it comes in  10lb bags or their is a 30lb bag.
                        i had this in my electric blue jack dempseys tank, and my first red devils tank, really make colors pop.
                        i believe it is 1mm black quartz. it is kind of ahbrasive, so if you have fish that have sensitive skin and frequently brush the gravel or burry themselves, it is not a good choice, i also had it in my old 20g and 30g long tang tanks.
                        FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

i think i have decided to go with black sand.  i think it will look really good with the colors of my angels and the decor i have chosen.  hopefuilly i will have it all changed out my Tuesday and i will post some pics for you guys.  happy new year.  oh....if you guys get bored....check out www.myspace.com/boundbychaos
                          If it ain't wild caught
                          You ain't doing it right

Comment

8O .........i couldn't understand a single word that was coming out of his mouth?????

Comment

I will say in my experiance change to black rocks not sand I had some in a tank and I hated it. It got everywhere(in the filter in the heater and in the sink when I syphoned the tank) also it was hard to clean because my fish would stir it up and waste would get stuck in the sand bed and I couldn't syphon the sand bed cause it would pull sand from the tank

Comment

Working...
                              X