No announcement yet.

fish or whatever that pass away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flushing is bad because of parasites and diseases. And it's even worse if the fish are alive.

This was taken from an article I found:

"Don't Flush the Fish
    If flushing cat litter down the toilet is a bad idea for the environment, flushing tropical fish might be even worse, according to a new study by the University of Washington and the Reef Environmental Education Foundation, a private conservation group. Off Florida’s southeast coast between 1993 and 2002, the researchers found 16 nonnative fish species, apparently set free from home aquariums.
    Biologists have long suspected that intentional and unintentional aquarium releases into fresh water are a leading cause of invasions by tropical fish, which may prey on native species or endanger them by introducing parasites. But the link had never been proved despite increased sightings of exotic species, such as a pair of Pacific orbicular batfish found at the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary this summer. The study ruled out the possibility that the fish hitchhiked in ballast water, because the home ranges of the fish do not overlap with shipping routes. Most of the exotic invaders—such as raccoon butterfly fish, tang and angel fish, and lionfish—come from the Red Sea and the Pacific and Indian Oceans. All are popular in the aquarium trade. The moral of the story: If you have an aquarium stocked with tropical fish, don’t flush.
    Heidi Ridgley"

Here's the link to that page: link

And another link: link

And another: link

-Laura-

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Delock View Post
        D, if we ever have a meeting at your place again, remind me NOT to use your restroom! Scary!
        PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyDragon09 View Post
          Flushing is bad because of parasites and diseases. And it's even worse if the fish are alive.

This was taken from an article I found:

"Don't Flush the Fish
          If flushing cat litter down the toilet is a bad idea for the environment, flushing tropical fish might be even worse, according to a new study by the University of Washington and the Reef Environmental Education Foundation, a private conservation group. Off Florida’s southeast coast between 1993 and 2002, the researchers found 16 nonnative fish species, apparently set free from home aquariums.
          Biologists have long suspected that intentional and unintentional aquarium releases into fresh water are a leading cause of invasions by tropical fish, which may prey on native species or endanger them by introducing parasites. But the link had never been proved despite increased sightings of exotic species, such as a pair of Pacific orbicular batfish found at the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary this summer. The study ruled out the possibility that the fish hitchhiked in ballast water, because the home ranges of the fish do not overlap with shipping routes. Most of the exotic invaders—such as raccoon butterfly fish, tang and angel fish, and lionfish—come from the Red Sea and the Pacific and Indian Oceans. All are popular in the aquarium trade. The moral of the story: If you have an aquarium stocked with tropical fish, don’t flush.
          Heidi Ridgley"

Here's the link to that page: link

And another link: link

And another: link

Yea, but what they over look is the thousands of fish that are released during a flood or Hurricane. Not intentional, just left behind as everyone's priority switches to "Staying alive"
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyDragon09 View Post
            Well. I did it again. Lost my Betta fish today. :( So instead of putting him in the back of the freezer (for a few months- I always forget about them ) with the other fish, I buried them all in the backyard. Just hope my dog doesn't find the spot interesting. She doesn't dig much but she may start scratching at the top. Just in case I made the hole extra deep.

There's always room for Gumbo.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by Nickintex View Post
              D, if we ever have a meeting at your place again, remind me NOT to use your restroom! Scary!
              +1 That is really creepy.

Originally posted by PhishPhreek View Post
              Yea, but what they over look is the thousands of fish that are released during a flood or Hurricane. Not intentional, just left behind as everyone's priority switches to "Staying alive"
              Yeah, I know, but if you had the choice to flush or not to flush...... Bottom line= it's bad.

Originally posted by PhishPhreek View Post
              There's always room for Gumbo.
              Huh?
              -Laura-

Comment

Working...
              X