No announcement yet.

What fish is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guy wasn't kidding when he said they were dead before the nets hit the water.

Comment

I have had some luck using ice to chill the water, but immediate transfer was critical. I found collecting them from the net with a small transfer cup (without removing them from the water) was effective
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by cpirnie3 View Post
        Ever kept them in an aquarium BrAin? Reading online it seems they are generalist planktivores. That would present a challenge Also, in this small size, I wonder if they would do best in brackish or full salt. I don't have a tank that would accommodate their adult size but I think it would be an awesome undertaking. Thoughts?
        I never tried to put them in a tank before. I used to fish alot so i have a general understanding on where to find them. Saw an oxygen bottle and a crazy expensive diffuser being used to keep them alive on a boat once. Bubbles were so small it looked like smoke in the water.

200 - African cichlids
        72 - Salty Bow Front
        33 Cube - community
        10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

I kept several alive in a bucket with this before. http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...+saver&Ntk=All

Take them straight from the water to a bucket and dont touch them using your hands.

Grandpa had two alive in a bucket for several hours with no air the other day. It was amazing

200 - African cichlids
          72 - Salty Bow Front
          33 Cube - community
          10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
            I could never keep these alive to take home...
            Originally posted by Ballinxalex View Post
            Me too it's like they die instantly a min out of water with bubbler they just die so easy Best bait for lake fishing
            Too bad they die so quickly. I wonder why that is... Looking at them in the water, i was thinking it would be cool to keep a small school of them. Regardless, thanks everyone for the responses. I've been meaning to go fishing with my little girl. Now I've got the bait :)
            Ever kept them in an aquarium BrAin? Reading online it seems they are generalist planktivores. That would present a challenge Also, in this small size, I wonder if they would do best in brackish or full salt. I don't have a tank that would accommodate their adult size but I think it would be an awesome undertaking. Thoughts?
            Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
            I have had some luck using ice to chill the water, but immediate transfer was critical. I found collecting them from the net with a small transfer cup (without removing them from the water) was effective

When I lived in San Antonio I kept about 50 in a tank for about a year. They started disappearing after I rescued a koi and had noplace to put it so I dumped it in with the shad. The Koi would eat 3 or 4 two inch ones a night.

I kept them in a brackish tank with a few plants. I never really had problems keeping them in San Antonio and they made it home fine without a bubbler.

In Houston they seem a bit wimpier. Most dies before I got home, but I kept some really nice ones in Houston for quite a while.

Moral of teh Story: Houston Shad are wimps. Road Trip to SA!!!!

Comment

So you had a koi in brackish water?
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Marine Koi? never heard of anyone keeping koi in brackish water before
                Last edited by HERM; 07-11-2012, 08:15 PM.
                Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
                Mark Twain

Comment

yep. The pond it came from, for whatever reason, was brackish.

When I finally tried moving it back to fresh, it died.

This kinda sorta explains it:

Evidently the Brits love salting their Koi

Comment

Originally posted by HERM View Post
                    Marine Koi? never heard of anyone keeping koi in brackish water before
                    Brackish=/= Marine. There is a huge difference

Comment

Working...
                    X