X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

So i just got a 6 gal eclipse tank

it has everything needed in the hood...filter and stuff

i wanted to make this a planted tank with some plants that are for beginners
    i keep hearing about java moss and java fern so most likely those
    what other plants are there that are easy to keep?

also what kind of substrate should i use for planted tanks that looks nice

the substrate thingy is the one i need help with

o and what kind of light bulb should i use

thanks

EDIT

what other stuff would i need for a planted tank...

What light bulb do you have now (Compact fluorescent, linear fluorescent, K-rating, etc.)? How many watts are used in that fixture?

With Java moss and Java fern, and old substrate would do, because they're attached to driftwood and such. But if you want planted plants, AquaSoil or Flourite are great. I like the Eco-Complete (the black color) for planted tanks, too, although I'm not sure if it has many nutrients in it. The tank I have EcoComplete in is really old, and so the substrate has been "aged" and seeded with lots o' stuff.

Depending on how in depth you want to go, you could add CO2 and ferts, but I don't think you need to if you want just a low light planted tank.

I'd recomment Cryptocorynes, too. They do really well in low light setups.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Planted substrates - Some people swear by the ADA Aquasoil brand, although Fluorite(comes in black and red chunks and sand), and EcoComplete are also popular. Laterite is another option. Heck, I've used potting soil in the past. It is all up to what you want.

Neither of the plants that you mentioned require a substrate. But other plants may benefit from the aforementioned brands.

Are you planning to add C02 to your tank? That will help decipher what plnat you could add.

I like lights in the 6700-8300K range.

GET TWEEZERS!
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

...beat again...
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

Heehee...at least we had the same advice, though! Great minds...
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

i dont want to use co2

Comment

crypts, java fern, and java moss will fill out a 6g. You could to najas grass, anubius nana "petite", and some stem plants as well. I'dstick with the first 3 though. You can vary it up by getting either "needle point" or "wendelev" java fern...

Comment

You could use Excel by Seachem as a CO2 replacement its better then nothing.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

anacharis, water wisteria, and hornwort are also all easy to grow,

But like mentioned go crypts(large variety of them available), java ferns, and mosses(also a few varieties to choose from, java, xmas, weeping, flame, peacock).

Mosses should be tied to driftwood to preform the best. java ferns need to be tied to a rock or driftwood as well and not buried in the substrate.

If you want to stay simple and low tech regular gravel that is not too course works fine. Also home depot carries Shultz Aquasoil which is said to have good cation exchange. I am using it right now in a couple tanks, but it work best if you mix it with some gravel becuase it is very light and plants have a tendency to become uprooted easily if used alone.

What light are you using? Make sure the light bulb in the 6500k + range.

With all the planted listed you wont need high lighting, nor do you need to dose with CO2. You may also be able to get away with not dosing of ferts if you have a decent fish bioload and do water changes. Flourish Excel is also availble if you would like to use a bit higher light(2+ wpg) and can be used instead of CO2 as a carbon source, if you would like a bit faster growth.

What kind of fish do you want to stock with?

Comment

A 6g Eclipse tank will not do well as a planted tank. Not only is the lighting woefully inadequate, but even the design of the filter blocks what little light there is from the back half of the tank.

I know. I have that tank. It doesn't even grow java moss well.

What I do is swap out plants from my other tanks. I grow plants such as java moss and java fern in another tank, and then move the healthy plants into the little Eclipse tank. It is then my hope that the plants will survive.

This is not to say that you cannot turn that tank into a planted tank, but to keep in mind the limitations. Unless you alter the original tank, the lighting in it is so poor, you just won't get much growth, if any.

Having said that, plants such as java moss, java fern, anubias, and crypts are probably your best choices. The substrate will only matter if you grow something with roots in the substrate, such as crypts.

If you have another planted tank with better growing conditions, then you can put various plants, such as java moss, java fern, anubias, on rocks and driftwood, and then swap them out between tanks. You grow the plants to healthy conditions in the better tank, and then move the plants into the Eclipse tank. Meantime, you grow a second set of the same plants in your main tank. Swap out the plants every week/month or so to help keep the plants healthy.

Otherwise, gut the Eclipse of its lighting and filter. Put a small HOB filter on the tank that will not block the light, and upgrade the lighting to something better than the single 8W bulb that comes with the Eclipse. Make sure whatever lighting you use will not become too hot for the tank given the way the lid traps in the heat.
                    Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
                    • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
                    • 29g Planted - Journal
                    • 29g Planted
                    • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Both are useful links if you would like to do low tech tanks. Also check the forum for other info such as a list of low light plants and such

Comment

Originally posted by Complexity View Post
                        A 6g Eclipse tank will not do well as a planted tank. Not only is the lighting woefully inadequate, but even the design of the filter blocks what little light there is from the back half of the tank.

I know. I have that tank. It doesn't even grow java moss well.

What I do is swap out plants from my other tanks. I grow plants such as java moss and java fern in another tank, and then move the healthy plants into the little Eclipse tank. It is then my hope that the plants will survive.

This is not to say that you cannot turn that tank into a planted tank, but to keep in mind the limitations. Unless you alter the original tank, the lighting in it is so poor, you just won't get much growth, if any.

Having said that, plants such as java moss, java fern, anubias, and crypts are probably your best choices. The substrate will only matter if you grow something with roots in the substrate, such as crypts.

If you have another planted tank with better growing conditions, then you can put various plants, such as java moss, java fern, anubias, on rocks and driftwood, and then swap them out between tanks. You grow the plants to healthy conditions in the better tank, and then move the plants into the Eclipse tank. Meantime, you grow a second set of the same plants in your main tank. Swap out the plants every week/month or so to help keep the plants healthy.

Otherwise, gut the Eclipse of its lighting and filter. Put a small HOB filter on the tank that will not block the light, and upgrade the lighting to something better than the single 8W bulb that comes with the Eclipse. Make sure whatever lighting you use will not become too hot for the tank given the way the lid traps in the heat.

this is what my tank looks like

Comment

Originally posted by molocha View Post
                          this is what my tank looks like
                          That's exactly the tank I was talking about: filter, lighting, hood, everything. Not a good choice for a planted tank, but you can do it as long as you're willing to have very little plant growth, if any. Even hornwort does poorly with the stock lighting in that tank.

This is the bulb that's in the fixture:

8watt, standard fluorescent. And then look at how that filter blocks all light from the back of the aquarium. Only the bottom of the back gets light.

You can remove the lighting and put something better in, but you still have the problem of the filter blocking the light. So then you replace the filter. Just keep in mind that whatever light you put in, you need to decide whether you're willing to block the opening at the top of the lid and you have to be careful to not use a bulb that creates so much heat, it boils the water.
                          Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                          • 29g Planted
                          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

does the lighting have to be above the tank can i have the lighting outside the tank facing the backside of the tank...would that work

Comment

You can have lighting anywhere. Keep in mind that plants will grow towards the light source so if the light is beside them, they'll grow sideways.

Don't get me wrong; you can have a planted tank with that setup. You just have to be realistic in what you can grow and how well the plants will grow. What I find happens sometimes is people give planted tanks a first try with undesirable results, and they decide they can't do it (or don't want to) because they think this is what it's like to have a planted tank. But the truth is that the beginner setup wasn't very good to begin with. As long as you keep things in perspective, then you'll be fine. You can always upgrade to a better setup later.
                              Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                              • 29g Planted
                              • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Working...
                              X