cloudy water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cloudy water

First of all yesterday I bought a bag of aqua soil and put it in my tank then got it running and everything.

today i decided i needed more soil, so i went and got myself another bag.

when i got home i emptied about 70% of the water and poured the other bag of aqua soil in and the water got really cloudy.

i filled up the tank and the water is still cloudy which i figured it would be.

now its been a few hours and the tank is still cloudy..

what should i do? also its a 30 gal tank

What kind of filter do you have on the tank?

It should go away in a day or two - no worries. But if not, let us know. :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

eheim 2211 and yes i will you know you

Comment

also is it bad to have the filter running...i heard that the cloudiness is the nutrients from the soil and it should settle down

Comment

does your tank have fish now? if yes, i should remove them, do water change everyday for at least 4 days, then check water again, if safe, then put your fish back in.
          the label on the aqua soil bag tell you doing that.

Comment

[quote=the label on the aqua soil bag tell you doing that.[/quote]

what you mean by that?

but yeah no fish just started setting up my tank no plants either

Comment

something come out from the soil when you first put them in water that might kill all your fish. and chaging water will hlep you with cloudy water problem too. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by kevinly View Post
                also is it bad to have the filter running...i heard that the cloudiness is the nutrients from the soil and it should settle down
                It should settle, you're right. But I would keep the filter running. AquaSoil, from what I have gathered, releases ammonia into the water column and help to cycle your tank without fish. This is why numerous water changes in the first couple of weeks are important when using AquaSoil. It also releases many ferts and nutrients into the water, which can overwhelm a new system. So water changes really help.
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Do 50% water changes for a week daily it should clear up. I just went thru the same process.

Make sure to re-add ammonia if your doing your fishless cycle.

Plant any plants you have before you hand you do the water changes. Keep your filter running after water changes dont disable it or you will kill all the beneficial bacteria in it, if its off too long..

good luck.. and post some pics after its clear

Comment

Comment

Simmilar to the method that I promote, except I (and everyone I know...even Amano) plants the tank before filling with water. Starting from day one with plants is very benificial, the amonia spikes that amazonia helps kickstart the plant growth. By "rinsing" or following the method to the letter on the above website you lose out on one of the key fefatures of Amazonia.

Don't get me wrong, even old Amazonia is great. But why lose out.

The cloudyness was probably caused by adding the new Amazonia in such a rough manner. And yes droping it into the water column like that is a little rough. It will clear up, try using a clouting agent like Clairity or something like that. Also, large water changes will help clear it up.
                      Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

Your filter is big enough for 30 gal. just wait a day & it will clear out. Don't change too much water may be 1 or 2 time with 30% that way bacteria can grow which make the water clear out.

Comment

Working...
                        X