Kittys 20G Lowtech/budget/light tank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kittys 20G Lowtech/budget/light tank.

My plans in short: To have a low-tech, Low-budget, and possibly low-light planted tank with a pair of Breeding Rams....maybe shrimp?

Birth of tank: Dec 10, 2009
    About Tank: Aqueon Deluxe 20G KIT: 24lx13wx17h (weird)
    Bought it for 70$ on sale at petco.
    Substrate: 1 20lb Bag of Eco-Complete Black. I actually DID NOT rinse this out, it didnt cloud at all...
    Bought a 5$ "moss ball" to throw in there, I know I should have bought more stuff, but I couldnt really afford so little for so much right now.

UPGRADES:
    Filter: IN THE MAIL
    Lights: IN THE MAIL
    Ferts: (Not currently Dosing yet)
    ***As per Tom’s recommendations, dose the following once a week or once in two weeks for a 20 gallon tank. If you have a different sized tank, calculate the required fert dose accordingly.
    1/4 Teaspoon of Seachem Equilibrium (for traces and Calcium + Magnesium). (1.42 ppm Ca, 0.42 ppm Mg, 3.43 ppm K and 0.02 ppm Fe)
    1/8 Teaspoon of KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate) (5.27 ppm NO3 and 3.32 ppm K)
    1/32 Teaspoon of KH2PO4 (Potassium Mono Phosphate) (1.61 ppm PO4 and 0.66 ppm K)

About me: Been in the aquarium hobby since I was 12, established my first 75G saltwater predator tank at the age of 13 as well as started working in the aquarium buisness and studying strict ichtheology hardcore until I discovered boys at the age of 16. Took down my 75, 90, 125, and 500G's, sold a few, kept a few, and moved out at the age of 17 to try and "make it in the city" then I joined the army. Alas, that didnt work and I came back broke and bored LOL! So Now Im 22, goin on 23 in March and am lookin to slowly get back into the hobby now that I've been laid off for a year I need somthing that I can enjoy doing and maybe make a lil money, but thats not the main reason. I wish to slowly (and cheaply) build my collection back up.

and anything else I might have forgotten...
    NOW! PICTURE TIME!
    ***article can be found here: http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...singfertilizer
    Last edited by Kittysnax; 12-20-2009, 08:43 AM.
    40G Breeder (47G) Planted Topless Tank

Placement:

Substrate:

Ugly Filterpad and Jaeden the Sphynx cat.

Filled and "planted"

Close up of Java mossball:

Another Full up pic:
    Last edited by Kittysnax; 12-16-2009, 10:32 PM.

Comment

UPDATE!

So my mom gave me 100$ to use towards my tank as an xmas gift! Since majaority of everything I got online, she decided to pay for it now so there would be a possibility I could have it before xmas. She is paying for shipping, and not including it from my 100$ gift.

Stop #1: Lighting
      I decided to go with a CoralLife 24" Double T-5 Strip W/14W Colormax & 6700K Plant Bulb - 40$ (50$ shipped) Amazon.com

Stop #2: Filtration
      I was going to go with an Aquaclear50, but decided to go with the Aquaclear 30 since I have a powerhead in the shed I will use if needed. - 30$ +free shipping, NEW from Ebay.com

Stop #3: Fertz
      I looked around at a couple of sites at dry ferts and decided to go with Aquariumfertilizer.com for my kno3 and kh2po4. -8$ (14$ shipped)

That Leaves me with 22$ leftover. I was stupid and just realized I thought I only had 16, but mom was payin shipping, so I had 22. Im not gonna press her for a couple of bucks.

Stop #4: Petco
      I figured I'd spend the last 16$ locally and since we were passin a petco on the way home from Spec's. I decided to pick up some plants and 2 O-Cats. The guy up there was flirtin with me (really obviously LOL) and gave me a plant for free ;3. So I got 3 of the "green ones" for the price of 2, a purple one, and the 2 O-cats. I also got some pond snails from him so I was happy lol.
      3 "loose plants" - 2.99/ea
      2 o-cats - 1.89/ea (I think, mom trashed the reciept)

So:
      Light:40$
      Filter:30$
      Fertz:8$
      Petco:13$ (I rounded up)
      --
      Total: 91$

NOW...PICTURE TIME!

Java ferns. One has plantlets growing from the tips of the leaves.

Java Ferns #2:

Java fern and newly identified "waffle plant" Note:the waffle plant isnt aquatic.

Moss Ball with female betta:

Oh and The o-cats went into my 5 gallon since I realized it had some brown algea growin in it. (No live plants though) I plan to move them over to this tank when it gets safer for more fish, and they have something to nibble on though.
      Last edited by Kittysnax; 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: 12/16/09
        So my fertz came in today! I was really pleased. They got here 2 days after the confirmation email!

the tank now. The romaine is in there for the ottos.

close up of the female CT betta and the ottos:

Jaeden was disturbed enough to crawl out of bed to investigate the camera flashes:

edit: I really need some more plants. Money is hard this time of year so it will just have to wait. >.< But at least my stuff is coming in. Just got the confirmation today that the lights have shipped so I will soon have my new fixture. Hopefully by saturday. If not, then monday. I really wanan find some glosso and some sort of stem plants. Prolly start lookin later on.
        Last edited by Kittysnax; 12-16-2009, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Nice start, keep us updated
          120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
          180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

congrats on getting the tank together, what else are you planning?
            I make people happy

Comment

Since you don't have a high plant density right now, go easy on the fertz in the to avoid algae. Actually, I wouldn't dose right now until I notice deficiencies on the plants.

Also you don't have a lot of fish so try your best not to over feed. This is so you can keep your water's nutrient levels fairly stable to avoid an algae outbreak. Keep up those water changes. Otherwise off to a good start!
              Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
              Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

Originally posted by Roujin View Post
                Since you don't have a high plant density right now, go easy on the fertz in the to avoid algae. Actually, I wouldn't dose right now until I notice deficiencies on the plants.

Also you don't have a lot of fish so try your best not to over feed. This is so you can keep your water's nutrient levels fairly stable to avoid an algae outbreak. Keep up those water changes. Otherwise off to a good start!
                +1

The plants you have now really won't need fert. Your tank is still cycling? If so, keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite. Without a jumpstart from a cycled filter it may take a while for your nitrifying bacteria to grow. Also, I'd keep the photoperiod down to 4 or 5 hours to start, until you get more plant mass.

Mark
                What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Yea, I wasnt plannin on dosing anytime soon. Depending on what I have in the tank mid jan-feb, I'll prolly start then. The Eco-Complete substrate has helped kickstart this tank better than nothing at all and suprisingly I havent had any problems parameter wise. Ammonia is unknown though mainly cause the lame test strips 1-dont have it and 2-suck as a whole when it comes to accuracy. That is my next big buy though, a master FW Test Kit. The worst thing I have experienced so far is a hazy "bloom" a couple of days after setting up but that took care of itself.

Upcoming plan/buy list:
                  1.Master FW Test Kit
                  2.More plants
                  3.Rocks, Stones, Driftwood, SOMTHING.
                  edit:4.BACKGROUND. I will probably go with a flat black background. I hate the 70's wall paper enough, I dont wanna see it through my tank LOL!
                  Last edited by Kittysnax; 12-17-2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Here's a really good deal on plants: http://houstonfishbox.com/vforums/sh...ad.php?t=32885

It should do ok in your tank although it wont grow fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Roujin View Post
                      Here's a really good deal on plants: http://houstonfishbox.com/vforums/sh...ad.php?t=32885

It should do ok in your tank although it wont grow fast.
                      If I was in a state to drive, Id be there like, today for that lol! But I have to have surgery on my foot friday, so /sadface. I DO like this plant though and have always wondered if it would fare/fair(?) well in a noobie tank.

I dont think I mentioned what Fixture I have coming in the mail, but this is it: http://www.amazon.com/CL-DBL-AQUA-T-...=31WNJ404FLO0E

Guess I snagged the last one...weird. Im guessing that would put me at Medium Light Quality. I didnt wanna go too high, because from my understanding then I would require Co2. But a few low-techers on The Planted Tanks' forums suggested this fixture.

I also think I read that WPG doesnt matter with a T5 fixture, so Im kinda confused on how to tell what I have. If it DID matter, then I think I would have 1.4 WPG. If Im doing the equation right. And that seems kinda low, even for a low-light tank. The light part confuses the hell outta me. I can mix chemicals and tend parameters all day, but somehow this "light math" isnt working for me.

edit: I have also been contemplating destroying the mossball and making it into a "carpet-like" moss instead.
                      Last edited by Kittysnax; 12-17-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I've grown different types of Rotalas in low tech, low light tanks and they do ok. Growth is very slow though.

1.4 wpg is right. I think this light is ok for your application because you can always adjust your photo period. I think your plant types and density will determine if you want to add CO2 or not. When i first started out, I added DIY CO2 right away because it was cheap and easy to do so to me it was a no brainer, plus I was going for the "jungle" look.

Comment

The more i think about it, the more i want to add Co2. But I dunno. Its a ways off anyhow xP.

Comment

Well the "Surgery" went well. The whole process took 10 minutes and I think the shot to deaden the toe hurt more than anything. But the pain NOW is a million and one times worse than it was when the toe was infected and gross. I took one of my moms vicodyns and I can STILL feel it, ugh. But, I suppose things have to get worse before they get better so at least it is taken care of and wont keep hurting like it had been. Ok ok enough "blogging" LOL!

Now, I dont think Im too drugged up to do some studyin'. The husband was nice and bought the Ottos some much needed Algea wafers. I figured Id only put like 1/4th of a wafer in, so as not to foul the water. I know the lil guys are hungry, I just really hope they can find them and know what the wafers are. I suppose I'll feed before I turn off the lights.

As for the plants, Im about to start my Googlin'. The husband said it will more than likely be after the new year until we can afford to buy more plants, especially since he knows I kinda wanna buy a good bit this time.

I was also lookin around at Plecos and Corys. I have always loved those fish but never really paid much attention to the specialty dwarf-plecos. I was getting stocking ideas on the tank and so far i know i want:
                            1 pair of rams (GBR or Goldens)
                            3 ottos (I have 2 already)
                            x amount of rummynose tetras(they are my favorite)
                            1 pair of dwarf plecos (unknown species, need opinions)
                            3-5 cory cats. (Unknown species, probably emeralds or albinos)
                            and
                            maybe 1-2 dwarf gouramis...i unno on that one yet
                            ---
                            I would think that would be okay as far as stocking goes, I just want to have a good, heavy planted tank before adding more fish. If I added anything soon, it would be another otto just cause I have read that they prefer odd numbers. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a dwarf pleco species? It really doesnt have to be a pair, I know from experience they are a heavy load for waste...I just really would like to have a gold nugget pleco, but they get too big so I was thinking of a Clown or Bristlenose pleco. I cant think of any other dwarfs off the top of my head. :/

yea...im starting to ramble Ima go study now lol!

Comment

Quick update:
                              Just got word that my filter had shipped on the 18th, so hopefully it should be here wednesday-ish. Was kinda bummed my lights hadnt made it by last saturday(yesterday), but it is getting closer to xmas. Hopefully they will be here tomorrow if not tuesday.

edit: Also I plan to try and do a waterchange today, as it hasnt been done since the tank was set up due to obvious "toe" reasons. But Im feelin a lil better and it NEEDS to be done. Figured Id pull about a 35&#37; WC.
                              Last edited by Kittysnax; 12-20-2009, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X