Spectrums, wpg, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectrums, wpg, etc

My husband and myself kinda sorta like the "blue/purple hues" from some bulbs. I think the bulb in my tank right now is some corallife t8........(goes to look) 15w 8,000.

Now, since my husband has no emotion whatsoever towards this hobby, him making a statement such as "I really like the light color" is a small hopeful step of him becoming interested LOL!

So if Im understanding this right, the lower the spectrum (ie 6700k) the more yellowish it will be and the higher (ie 10k) the more white it will be? Does the color of the bulb really matter when it comes to GROWING the plants, or is it just a preferance?

One last question: Do "Lunar Lights" mess up the photoperiod? I tend to keep my lights on for a long time (12hours give or take, bad i know) just because Im holdin out on a digital timer that can do day/night cycles.

Here is a link of the lunar lights I was thinking of using: http://www.amazon.com/CURRENT-USA-IN...=31WNJ404FLO0E

I was thinking of using one of those, and a link set at a 30degree angle or somthing LOL I saw a good "how to" from customer pics on amazon. Would it be too much light to throw off the plants and fish though?
    40G Breeder (47G) Planted Topless Tank

Originally posted by Kittysnax View Post
    So if Im understanding this right, the lower the spectrum (ie 6700k) the more yellowish it will be and the higher (ie 10k) the more white it will be?

That's usually the case, yes.

Does the color of the bulb really matter when it comes to GROWING the plants, or is it just a preferance?

Yes and no. Ultimately, I think you'll be safe with any kind of bulb, really. Most bulbs out there that are geared toward growing plants are "wide-" or "full-spectrum," which cover most of the bases for the requirements of plants.

One last question: Do "Lunar Lights" mess up the photoperiod? I tend to keep my lights on for a long time (12hours give or take, bad i know) just because Im holdin out on a digital timer that can do day/night cycles.

Do you mean a timer that has multiple sockets to plug in your daytime lights and one that turns on at night for your LEDs?

Here is a link of the lunar lights I was thinking of using: http://www.amazon.com/CURRENT-USA-IN...=31WNJ404FLO0E

I was thinking of using one of those, and a link set at a 30degree angle or somthing LOL I saw a good "how to" from customer pics on amazon. Would it be too much light to throw off the plants and fish though?
    So will you be using only that one lunar light that you linked, or that and another?

As long as you don't load up and blast your tank with high-powered LEDs at night, I think your fish will be able to sleep.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

technically i was gonna try and use 2 of those. (1 + a link) I just want a subtle glow, smiliar to what my computer case puts out. (its a antec) If I dont use those I figured id just find a DIY thing and put 2 LEDs at an angle on each end of my fixture.

and on the timer, yea I was hoping for a good strip that has multi sockets. (really only 2) I have heard mixed reviews on the corallife one so im kinda "meh" about it. I will prolly break down and use analog when they stick em all on sale, I just hate the power surges we get here in Baytown, In my area at least, and hate resetting.
      40G Breeder (47G) Planted Topless Tank

Comment

Working...
      X