harlequin or cardinal tetras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harlequin or cardinal tetras?

Hey guys can you tell me which one are hardier between a harlequin tetra or cardinal tetra? I had both before but my freaking angel fish ate almost all of them. I had about 70 cardinal and 40 harlequin. The cardinal that I bought seem to die one by one after I bought them. The harlequin were a little hardier. However, maybe the water condition wasn't ideal for the cardinal tetras. I'm going to nursing school spring 11, and I want some fish that are hardy and not over my budget. I can get a really good deal on cardinal tetras but I don't want them to died.
    180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

anyone?
    180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

i mean ive kept rasboras alot in my planted tanks and never had a problem. If i had to guess tho id say cardinals are less hardy. but ive never kept them. i think both are about the same overall. maybe someone else with more experience can chime in...
      I make people happy

Comment

Why not a try 100 galaxy rasboras.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I'd say harlequins are the hardier species.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
            Why not a try 100 galaxy rasboras.
            That would look really cool.

I also think these guys are more hardy than cardinals. In the cardinal, neon, simulin world cardinals are the least hardy of the bunch.

Comment

......... Have not ever had problems with cardinals. I think who you buy from has a lot to do with stability of the fish when you get it home. That being said, don't go with the cardinals only cause I think they are overdone. See them way too much.
              Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

+1 on the harlys. I've kept them for a while and they seem to do much better. I like how fast and tightly the move.
                Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
                Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

I love cardinal schooling but I would say they are harder to keep. If you want an easier tetra I would go with neons.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                  28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Harlequins are more impressive when schooling IMO.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Man harlequin is more expensive than cardinal tetras now. I remember it was the opposite a few years back. Guess they raise the price because they are more hardy than cardinal. I have bad experience keeping neons as well. Any other small tetras that school well that you guys could recommend. No galaxy rasboras I heard they cost a lot. I'm going to be in school so for now I'm on a budget.

Comment

i had to go threw like 30 cardnials before i finaly got 10 that lived.

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
                        -Stephen Roberts

Comment

Harlequins usually live longer for me than cardinals, but it's generally the difference between three years and five years.

Mark
                          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                          X