how often to use plant fertilizer and id plant please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how often to use plant fertilizer and id plant please

Hey guys can you identify me this plant. It was given to me a long time ago. Its like a bush now. I just took it out the tank today to rinse and clean it. It had a lot of algae on it. Its just mainly that plant that has algae. I cut and separated the roots and tied it with river rock. Should I tied it to lava rock or another rock instead. I try tying it to the driftwood but it doesn't look as nice.
    I also wanted to ask some questions regarding fertilizing the plants. I fertilize my plants like once a week is that enough? I also have 4x54 tek lights and run co2. However, the plants are not growing well. Well some of the plants grow really good, but my java moss looks brown.

It looks more brown in person. Should I boost the co2 and fertilize more often?

What is this plant?
    180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

what chemicals are you dosing once a week?

With that amount of lighting you might consider uping the game.

That last plant looks like an African fern if I'm not mistaken.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I use seachem bottle. I do got metal halides that I could run.
      180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

water wisteria? hard to tell from the pic is this what the leaves look like?

25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Originally posted by supaflyz View Post
          I use seachem bottle. I do got metal halides that I could run.
          4x54 tek light is up there for planted tanks.

How deep is your tank?

I would dose Greg Watson 3 parts and just do a big water change once a week to keep it balanced out.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Here's a few more pictures. I don't know why its so dark now. It was lighter than that when it was in the other person tank.

Comment

Bolbitis heudelotii.

I got money on it now.

Slow grower. Can be grown in lower light tanks.

Nice plant.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Thanks Thai!

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                  Bolbitis heudelotii.

I got money on it now.

Slow grower. Can be grown in lower light tanks.

Nice plant.
                  +1! That's a good amount of it you've got, too! It's a wonderful plant.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by supaflyz View Post
                    I cut and separated the roots and tied it with river rock. Should I tied it to lava rock or another rock instead. I try tying it to the driftwood but it doesn't look as nice.

If it attaches to the river rocks, you're good. Actually, it's fine if it doesn't attach, too. As long as the rhizome is out in the open, it will grow. :)

I also wanted to ask some questions regarding fertilizing the plants. I fertilize my plants like once a week is that enough? I also have 4x54 tek lights and run co2. However, the plants are not growing well. Well some of the plants grow really good, but my java moss looks brown.

Should I boost the co2 and fertilize more often?

What are you fertilizing with? What is your CO2 setup - pressurized? Do you have any way of knowing how much CO2 you're injecting? A lot of the plants you have in this tank tend to be slow growers, so you might not see the crazy growth you're expecting with ferts and CO2. I would use the rotala (or whatever that pink plant is you have) as the indicator. If it grows like mad, then you're on the right track. If it's slow growing, and you're not seeing any new growth almost every day, then you might want to step up the CO2 and ferts.
                    Hope that helps!

Comment

When I had my hi tech tank going, I dosed 3 times a week and used PMDD dry mix from AquariumFertilizer.com. The light you have seems sufficient. What color temp(s) are the lamps? Most hi tech growers advocate co2 in the 25 to 30 ppm range. Dropping your ph down a full log from baseline with co2 will put you in the ball park. Just watch your fish for breathing stress when you increase co2. If they go to the top and seem to be gasping, decrease the co2 a little.

That's a very nice bunch of bolbitis there.

Mark
                      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Hello Mz thank you for your advice. My co2 is pressurized. I'm fertilizing with seachem bottle. Like what you mean with how much co2 I'm injecting? Like how many bubbles per minute? That rotala grows well, but it doesn't branch out like others. It just grows upright.

Comment

So you use dry mix Wesley. Also 25ppm (25 bubbles per minute right). I think I have to boost my co2 or put in a good co2 diffuser for it to spread throughout the tank.

Comment

For how much CO2, I mean pretty much any way you're using to determine the amount of CO2 in your aquarium. Could be bubbles per minute, bubbles per second, you could be using CO2 indicator solution, or just gauging how much by eyeing your diffuser. What kind of diffuser are you using now?

What kind of Seachem ferts are you using? Is it just plain Seachem Flourish, or are you using the entire line of Seachem fertilizer products?

As for the rotala, it's doing what it needs to be doing. It's a stem plant, so unless you trim the tops off and leave the bottoms to branch out, it should just grow upright like you say it is. :)

Comment

Diffusers sometime sucks b/c algae gets all over the plate.

Maybe consider an inline reactor set-up with your ehiem canister.

Seems like you got lighting and C02 down.

I would reconsider what you have been doing with ferts.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X