No announcement yet.

Harder to hate when they're so pretty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harder to hate when they're so pretty!

:furious:

Water Hyacinth (Eichhoria crassipes) is so incredibly invasive, but until about a week ago I'd never seen it in bloom. I'm having trouble hating it as much as I did...but, pretty or not, it's still invasive.

This is a roadside ditch by our house:

(You can also see another invasive in the pictures - Myriophyllum aquaticum)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

MB, you and Geoff need to go to Vietnam!

Picture miles and miles of those water flowers mixed in with lotus flowers all along the country side.

It's a sight to be seen.

I went to Austin a few weeks ago and saw fields of blue bonnets mixed in with some red wild flower. Looked really really cool.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

very pretty flowers.

did you take any home?
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
        MB, you and Geoff need to go to Vietnam!

Picture miles and miles of those water flowers mixed in with lotus flowers all along the country side.

It's a sight to be seen.

I went to Austin a few weeks ago and saw fields of blue bonnets mixed in with some red wild flower. Looked really really cool.
        Now you know why I wanted bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes as our "wedding flowers!" (Along with a yellow flower of which I can't currently remember the name)

I'd MUCH rather see hyacinths in their native habitat - I could definitely be a LOT less torn about their beauty. )

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
          very pretty flowers.

did you take any home?
          No Way! I believe, as responsible hobbyists, we're actually supposed to destroy any and all plants we see - but I just can't bring myself to do so. At least I have enough willpower to resist taking them home and letting them grow more...Sigh.

Comment

I would like to have seen that. Nice close ups.

Comment

Yes, Jim is a big time collector of wild flowers. )
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I appreciate nature. Plus they are for your gal )

Comment

Yeah there are tons of those heading toward Lake Houston I saw last summer. Didnt know they werent native and they are invasive.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                  28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Yeah, they're incredibly invasive. Since they're floating and grow/reproduce VERY quickly, they choke out both space and light for other plants in no time.

Comment

Very pretty!
                      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Lots of that in Lake Livingston. It's worked its way up into the creeks that empty into the lake and choked some of them worse than the hydrilla does. The only benefit I see there is that when it completely covers an area, it shades out the hydrilla so it doesn't survive in those areas. Beautiful pics, MB.

Mark
                        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                        X