No announcement yet.

Cypress river bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I finish backfilling the hollowed out cypress knees to weigh them down I just realize I did not photo document how I did it. Sorry

Short story, had a lot of miss match stainless bolting that was going to the scrap bin; I filled the hollowed out area with bolting, sand and gorilla glue. The sand and gorilla glue mixed better than I thought it would, the sand and glue mix helped fill in the voids between all of the bolts and nuts. All of this creating a very solid mass to counter act the Wood bouyancy. This weekend looks like the setup date, will fill you in.....this time with pics
    Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

Thoughts about weighting them down:

Find a piece of slate so that it doesnt alter your water. Get a masonry drill bit and mount them to that.

OR get a really wide drill bit, used for boring big holes in wood. Fill the holes up with quickcrete.

Either way, cypress knuckles always make a great looking piece to an aquarium.

Comment

I thought of those two methods. The cypress was way too bouyant to ancor down with slate, and the additional surface area that the slat would add would mean that arranging the scape would be difficult.

Quickcrete will alter the water. So I filled them in with heavy materials that would be more nutral to the water column

Comment

Any luck getting the other pieces weighed down? I hope so, because I'm ready to do some aquascaping. I have this Saturday specially reserved!
          Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
          Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

This is awesome. Would make a great native tank. I wish I had access to some knees.

Comment

You guys doing the tank this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by Roujin View Post
                You guys doing the tank this morning?
                I'm working doing take down of the old tank, Dave is on his way should be in full swing in about half an hour if you want to stop by

Comment

Roujin, you missed a heck of a time yesterday! 'Old Man' and I got to drink Ale and eat all of Kevin's Oreo Cookies...oh, and we got to scape his tank too... :)
                  It was alot of fun, and I think some of it even counted as exercise. Ask Kevin how much fun we had mopping the floor with tank water.

Comment

Ale and oreo cookies?

A mismatched combo if i've ever heard one.

I'm sure the oldman kept it real.

Comment

HA! Y es, TheOldMan kept it real. By the way, check out this Anubias he brought over for me!! His email described it as "a couple large-leaved Anubias" that I might could use in my 125. I called them 'coffeefolia' yesterday, but I think these are actually 'caladifolia' judging by the size.

And Kevin wound up with some 200+ rhizomes of Anubias barteri 'nana' AFTER we trimmed, culled, and scaped his 75...and that was even after I got 3 gallon-size bags from him last month!

Comment

ale and oreos? bring a gas mask!

Yeah I had a few domestic things come up that morning. Where are the tank pics?

Comment

That is a very very fine looking clump of Anubias.

Definately need to see the tank if this is culls. Wow.

Comment

Update!!!!!
                            So Davemonkey and TheOldMan came over and after a few beers we got it done. I wish I would have gotten a pic of the before, but oh well. Keep in mind that this is my 75g that has the filtration drilled through the bottom.

layout

the bane of reusing old amazonia

and the planting

In tank now
                            Anubias nana
                            crypt retrosprialis
                            native moss yet unidentified think it might be fissidens but looks a little scruffy
                            Nerites and cherry shrimp

I am thinking of placing in some bolbitis and maybe some dwarf lillys or tiger lotus (letting it grow to top to duplicate water lillies)
                            Give me your thoughts, suggestions
                            Last edited by kwc1974; 02-11-2011, 10:35 AM.

Comment

It just goes to show that you can accomplish anything with a little beer and alot of plants. It looks awesome dude!

Comment

no words just amazing

Comment

Working...
                                X