LEDs for plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEDs for plants

Would autozone LED strips work for a planted fluval edge? I'm thinking about turning my edge into either a planted shrimp tank or a pico reef. Still debating on which way to go but I'm trying to figure out lighting first. If I do use the autozone LED strips, I could connect them to a 12volt cigarette thing then plug it into an adapter for the wall outlet. It's just an idea, not sure if they'll be bright enough for either plant growth or corals

Those offer asthetics at best. Raise shrimp and keep silk/plastic plants alive under the light, yes.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Not even close to a Cree 3w LED.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Agree with the above. Not all LED's are the same. The strips you are talking about don't put out enough light, nor the right type of light, for a plant to use in photosynthesis. You MIGHT be able to keep Java Fern or Anubias alive in a set up like that, but the light they would use to survive would be whatever light is available in the room you are keeping them (ambient room light, light from a window, etc... ).

-Dave
        Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
        Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

i guess i'll stick with the ebay mr11/mr16 plus hopefully some other brighter light modifications. decided to just turn the edge into a shrimp tank with maybe a couple small fish and aquascape =D it's going to take a while though. also planning to convert my 40gal breeder into a reef tank

Comment

Working...
          X