Wabi-kusa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wabi-kusa?

Has anyone had any experiance with this sort of a set up? I know its been mentioned a few times, but how are these setups long term? Are they basically just short term endeavors or can they be maintained for longer development? I have tossed around the idea and think it looks fun.

If I were to try it out, I'd use a shallow round glass bowl. For substrate possibly a rich loam in a terra cotta dish (to avoid discoloring the water) and power sand or even PFS. Possibly something like HC or a club fern as ground cover and crypts or anubias grown immersed. I think the only livestock would be RCS as anything else would be just too much of a gamble. Any thoughts?

Has anyone done one of these before? I'd love to hear what worked and what did not...
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

They can be maintained long term but pick out low humidity plants and you'll be good.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Right on, I've done some low light, high humidity terrariums for tarantulas and had fun. These just look terrifically cool and very zen
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Wabi-kusa is actually a trade marked term coined by ADA as a name for their koke-dama style balls. So the style itself is koke-dama and they are designed to last some time.

ADA designed the wabi-kusa balls to grow aquatic plants both emerse and submerse. I think these set ups can last some time. In its most basic form there should be a dirt ball wraped with moss and plants growing from it.

There is a good thread on aquatic plant central on DYI wabi-kusa balls. I think this is the only realistic way to own one. There are only 6 actual wabi-kusa balls in the US. All of which came from ADG.

I posted some pictures of my koke-dama set up in EK's emerse tank set-up thread.
        Last edited by myjohnson; 03-12-2012, 08:33 PM.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, I'll certainly look into it and post up pics once I get the stuff and do it
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Yeah, do keep us updated!

There are some people making koke-dama balls with aquatic plants and using it as an instant scape in their planted tanks.

Looks really promising from what I see....I might try planting that way. :)
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

That does sound interesting, I am really wanting to give this a shot. I know I'll be heading to grab some aquasoil if ADG gets some in and its mostly clay, so it should work a bit better then I first thought. I've worked with a variety of club ferns and smaller pond bracken in my larger tarantula terrariums, but was wary about suppling too much light. With this I really think it will be fine and would be a great focal piece
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

I've always loved wabi-kusa, but never gotten around to setting one up. I'd love to do this in the future. Please keep us updated!!
                Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

neat! what species of T's? got any pics?

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                  Right on, I've done some low light, high humidity terrariums for tarantulas and had fun. These just look terrifically cool and very zen

Comment

i totally want to set up one of these, as well. i am currently looking for a good low rectangular glass box to utilize. i was thinking of hiding a mini submersible filter in between/under the rocks holding up the wabi kusa balls/planted substrate. this would allow for the shrimp/guppies/what have you in the water to survive better/longer.

Comment

Originally posted by pedropete View Post
                      neat! what species of T's? got any pics?
                      I've kept T. Blondii (she got near 9+"), a few natives, and the only one I still have is a pink toe (avie aviculara)
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

I'd love to keep a filter in there, but fear it might ruin the effect. If I get to frustrated I'll try and come up with something. I might even have a HOB that I drop on to polish the water and remove it once that is done.
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

Nice! A pinktoe with a planted tank would be cool, I bet, as it is arboreal in nature. I have a B. smithi who has a terrarium lacking any plants, but with some cool rock and wood features.

A temporary HOB filter isn't a bad idea at all. You could even just run it at night or something.

I am contemplating (depending on size of glass box) having a hatchling stinkpot / mud turtle and a couple male endlers or fancy guppies, along with marimo balls (in the water part). The rocks supporting the soil balls (basically like kokedama) I would like to have wrapped up with flame or christmas moss. For flora on top, "emmersed" (more or less), i'm not sure yet....

Comment

I think I'd go with no fish and just shrimp. They could help with cleanup and I would not have to worry with a heater, they seem to take the temp variance better and would significantly lower my bioload for sustainability in a long term setting.
                            Desiderius Erasmus
                            GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                              I think I'd go with no fish and just shrimp. They could help with cleanup and I would not have to worry with a heater, they seem to take the temp variance better and would significantly lower my bioload for sustainability in a long term setting.
                              that's actually probably the safest plan. maybe a snail, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X