Plant turning white?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant turning white?

The new growth on this plant has started turning white. Also seems to be leaning to one side. I'm running dual 36" t8's, root tabs, excel every 3 days, and pressurized coČ at 2-3 bubbles per second.
    20g mixed reef

That's Limnophillia Aromatica, needs a strong, rich substrate and looks to be growing to the lights.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

+1 to growing to the lights, the leaves are closeless spaced so that means its getting lots of light, they tend to get a lighter color so that they can reflect some light back if they are getting too much...is it growing towards a window by chance?
      75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
      28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
      12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
      29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
      45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
      33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

No window, t8s too much? I was thinking about upgrading my lights to either PCs or t5ho. I forgot what kind of substrate it is, I think its red sea's flora base mixed with a small amount of pfs...
        20g mixed reef

Comment

t8s normally arent too much but if the tank isnt very tall and the fixture is close to the water then the tops of the plants may be seeing really high PAR

GHAC Member

Comment

T8 is almost nothing when it comes to high light demanding plants.

The aromatica is nice cause it will show you what it needs, are there roots coming off the stem? So far it shows light and water column fert dificiency
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yea roots are coming out of the stem, plus its starting to branch off. What ferts is it showing I'm low? I guess excel doesn't add everything I thought it needed, or maybe I need to add more excel.
              20g mixed reef

Comment

Excel is just a carbon supplement, a Co2 organic replacement. Does very little to nothing as far as fertilizing goes. You could try dosing Flourish plant fert and when you get into high light and more demanding plants you can start dosing per but for now Flourish and maybe Trace will do fine.

Sending out roots means it's forcing itself to feed out of the water column.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                  Excel is just a carbon supplement, a Co2 organic replacement. Does very little to nothing as far as fertilizing goes. You could try dosing Flourish plant fert and when you get into high light and more demanding plants you can start dosing per but for now Flourish and maybe Trace will do fine.

Sending out roots means it's forcing itself to feed out of the water column.
                  Cool, ill pick up some flourish and trace. I added root tabs a few weeks back, how often should I add more tabs?
                  20g mixed reef

Comment

Just try the flourish for now, the root tabs is dependent on the plants but I would think a month or two maybe even three.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Just try the flourish for now, the root tabs is dependent on the plants but I would think a month or two maybe even three.
                      Ill pick some up tomorrow then. Will that take care of the plants trying to gather nutrients from the water column?
                      20g mixed reef

Comment

You really don't want that but yeah.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

+1 Great Call Q!!! I have a tray of ferts and every one I lack I end up regretting...
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

regular flourish has some trace in it doesnt it? i got pretty good results from just flourish and flourish iron together but both ways should work, you may end up needing more macro ferts at some point.

GHAC Member

Comment

Working...
                            X