Emmersed Plants and Vivariums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emmersed Plants and Vivariums

So, I finally got the finishing touches for my Vivarium for the Vampire and Red Devil Crabs.

6cm of Water and that covers about 30% of the Vivarium floor.
    Using Black Sand and a 5 shot glass full of Amazonia Soil and that covers the rest of the Vivarium.
    Got two big chunks of Volcanic rock with nice sized holes for the crabs to hide and they're on the dry portion of the tank.

It just feels bland, it needs more life in the tank so I was wondering whats some good plants to grow in this wet/humid tank. HC won't do, it will get torn up. I'm planning on stopping by Petsmart tomorrow and checking out their selection.

Driftwood advisable?
    Java Ferns and various other ferns emmersable?

Will post pictures soon.
    Will trade Fish Stuff for Camera Lens and Anime Figures.

mondo grass?
    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

kyoto grass
      Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Another Place in Time has a great selection of high humidity plants locally. Otherwise try some dendroboard sites that cater to dart frog enthusiasts, they have appropriate plants for sale.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
          Another Place in Time has a great selection of high humidity plants locally. Otherwise try some dendroboard sites that cater to dart frog enthusiasts, they have appropriate plants for sale.
          The beginning of your post sounds like a Dio song
          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

I think I'd prefer Mortiis or Emporer...
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

java fern can grow emersed but would need high humidity since they live in spray zones naturally. i am a big fan of varigated acorus, many types of crypts, swordplants, dwarf alocasia / colocasia, and other mariginal or bog plants. some of my favorite places:

Last edited by Totenkampf; 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM.
              75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
              28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
              12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
              29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
              45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
              33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

I used forest moss on top of wet rock. The rock is about 3" thick with water just about 2". the moss on top is damp but not to wet. I may put a small heater in the water. The little crabs are pretty.photo (100).jpg
                Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Forest moss is perfect. The java moss and crypts grown emersed are excellent. You'll know your humidity is too low for the crabs if they are not doing well.
                  Emerald Green Rainbowfish
                  Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I hope you are keeping the red devil and vampires in seprate terrariums. They will kill one another from my previous experience. The devils were on the winning end. Devils are also more active.
                    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
                      Forest moss is perfect. The java moss and crypts grown emersed are excellent. You'll know your humidity is too low for the crabs if they are not doing well.
                      Should I worry about the possibility of it getting too humid?
                      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
                        Should I worry about the possibility of it getting too humid?
                        Not really. Geosesarma (red devils & vampire crabs) are a genus of terrestrial crabs that need the humidity to keep their gills moist. You'll find them sometimes soaking in a water dish. In the wild some will soak in rain puddles. Sulewasi, Indonesia has rain forrest (native habitat of red devils and vamipres) which have average temps. of mid 70's to mid 80's and 70-100% humidity depending on the time of year. I've treked through the jungle in the Philippines and it's probably similar. You can even see a fog of moisture rise from the ground.
                        Also another tip: make sure they have places to hide from one another during molting.
                        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
                          I hope you are keeping the red devil and vampires in seprate terrariums. They will kill one another from my previous experience. The devils were on the winning end. Devils are also more active.

They're in the same tank for right now. I need to clear out another tank for them. So far they're all hiding in the rocks I gave them.
                          Will trade Fish Stuff for Camera Lens and Anime Figures.

Comment

No wonder it was so hot in tims house lol
                            Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

sounds like their care may be similar to hermits then. in my terrarium i have a 2" deep bed of baked clay spheres so that water can drain and yet still be wicked up into the substrate. there is an aquarium heater down there but there isnt enough standing water to cover it completely so i need to switch to an undertank heating pad. on top of that i put some vinyl window screen and then a 1 inch layer of coarse coconut fiber since it doesnt foster mold growth. on top of that i have 4 inch deep mixture of construction sand, milled coconut fiber, and oyster shell bits along with a small amount of earthworm castings. hermits will eat their substrate for nutrition, i dont know about these guys. i also bought a couple 'sauna' water dishes from petsmart for fresh and saline water that fit flush down into the soil and so far have decorated with cork rounds. misting with watermill water is provided daily. crabs are supposed to be very sensitive to chlorine so i use aged tap for drinking. the substrate has to be just moist enough to make sand castles so that they can burrow tunnels that will not collapse or else they will eat each other during the month long molt. again, this may not be the exact husbandry of vampires and red devils but it may give some ideas. another note, i seldom use sphagnum these days since it mildews and seems to attract fruitflies, but that might be good since V/RD crabs appear to be more predacious.
                              Last edited by Totenkampf; 06-07-2012, 09:40 AM.
                              75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                              28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                              12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                              29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                              45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                              33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Working...
                              X