Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plants help.!!!

Do a water change of at least 75% immediately

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

so bossy mistahoo... lol. it would be a good idea. 80ppm is a bit high. if i remember correctly, up to 40 is ok, but over that may be harmful to your fish, definatley may be hurting the plants, and absolutely explains the algae growth.

most interesting to me is how when nitrates build up slowly, they can get ridiculously high before any ill effect is seen on the fish in the tank, as they adapt to the rising levels over time. but if you try to add a new fish/plant to the tank, it will stress/kill them. i've had so many customers over the years bring back dead fish and a water sample, when i test the water, nitrate will be very high, and i tell the people to go do a water change before i give them new /replacement fish. (petco has the best freshwater warranty around... 30 days) people always say, "but all my other fish are fine!" no, they are just dying much slower.
      Last edited by allysangels; 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM.
      my fish house:
      2.5g- ramshorn hatchery
      6g eclipse- yellow shrimp, chili rasboras, yellow apple snails
      29g- geo grow-out, angels, 12"fire eel, dwarf frog, apple snails
      45g- jade sleeper gobies, native killifish, feeder endlers

75g-
      2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby
      125g- fahaka puffer, rainbow shark
      and about a dozen bettas....

Comment

Yup

Comment

That was a test I did Monday and didn't test my water till I came home after I posted this. I'll be doing a water change tomorrow. Would EI dry dosing have an effect with this??

Comment

it shouldn't. just change the water, it'll be ok.
            my fish house:
            2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-
            2 oscars, parrot, silver dollars, albino channel cat, syno euptera, bichir, baby jaguar, convicts, yabby

Comment

Originally posted by allysangels View Post
              it shouldn't. just change the water, it'll be ok.
              +1 water change will remove a lot of the nitrates. I'd suggest doing one water change of 75-90% weekly or two water changes of 40-50% a week

Comment

I have been doing 70% water changes every Sunday. The nitrate drop already to 0ppm I'm going to try less EI dosing !!

Comment

That's great! Keep up the routine and you should be golden. If you have shrimp, don't do large water changes. Do about 20% water change weekly. Some species of shrimp don't like it and are more sensitive.

Comment

glad its working
                    my fish house:
                    2.5g- ramshorn hatchery

75g-

Comment

I have shrimps in a 5 gal !! The 20 gal its the one I'm working on. I think I'm going to Lower the EI dosing !!

Comment

Yes it would have an effect, that's why you are adding KNO3 to bring up the nitrates.
                        Recheck your calculations on how much you are adding, you don't want to leave it at 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          Yes it would have an effect, that's why you are adding KNO3 to bring up the nitrates.
                          Recheck your calculations on how much you are adding, you don't want to leave it at 0.
                          +1, i often adjust the mix myself to add less KNO3 in my PPS-Pro dosing regime
                          75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                          28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                          12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                          29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                          45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                          33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

I was adding 20 ML of macro and micros now I'll be adding 10 ML.

Comment

its all a balancing act, start off at the low end and adjust upwards based on testing and what the plants tell you. once you get a feel for that its a no brainer for that setup from then on.
                              75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                              28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                              12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                              29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                              45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                              33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

You could do it that way but I thought he said he was dosing estimative index. The whole idea behind the estimative index is to overdose your plants so they don't lack any nutrients then adjust down if you want to after that. The extra nutrients won't cause algae but the lack of nutrients which leads to lack of plant growth allows algae to get a foothold in your tank.

Comment

Working...
                                X