New tank - Just planted Wisteria.. Leaves are turning brown w/holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tank - Just planted Wisteria.. Leaves are turning brown w/holes

I'm trying to get this planted tank business down. Just got some with the group buy.

Any tips on the below?

Just planted Wisteria.. Along with
    some water sprites I have floating.

Now the Leaves are turning brown w/holes and have an almost see through translucent appearance.

I running a 2 48 in. 54w, 10000k bulbs on a 75 gallon.

The sprites were doing good. They had a nice green appearance.

The plants were doing well,

Now both are turning brown.

If this helps, I had three Cory cats, during what I thought was the last few steps of my cycle.

They were lost. I did a large water change to help replant the plants. The area i live in has almost 2ppm of ammonia.

I didn't have any seachem prime on hand. I have some now.

So are the plants doing bad because of the missing ammonia that the Cory cats provided?

Thanks

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

nah its actually natural for plants that get introduced into a new environment to lose their leaves, aka melt, how are the actual stems doing?

Comment

Plants melt (everything you just described) when you move them from different water parameters. Also, you mention wattage and tank size, but you don't mention what type of lighting? That is more important. 54w T5HO is different from 54w of T12. They don't need a constant source of ammonia. If they did, then you couldn't keep any living creature in the tank besides plants.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. The lights are t5ho.

The stems are looking better. I think it may have been the temperature.

I had it turned up for a while last week. I heard it helps the BB grow during a cycle..

Comment

Originally posted by mr504 View Post
          Thanks for the feedback. The lights are t5ho.

The stems are looking better. I think it may have been the temperature.

I had it turned up for a while last week. I heard it helps the BB grow during a cycle..

Temp does help BB colonize, but the temperature was not the reason why the plants melted. It was because of a change from one parameter to another. If you move it from one of your tanks to another one of your tanks, you won't experience much of this melting unless the parameters are very different.

Comment

So I've got some more Cory cats.

And I've confirmed they will eat plants that aren't doing so well.

I wanted to follow up on if wisteria had a problem. I've started adding seachem flourish comprehensive once a week, and daily co2 booster.

Just added some API root tabs beneath /near the wisteria.

Is this normal for the stems.? Should I cut the Grey steams and replant with the green stem sections in the substrate.?

Comment

Cutting the greys and replanting will cause the plant to stop spending energy repairing it and focus on new growth. To keep it simple, I would trim and replant.

Also, I will have root tabs if you want to purchase when you pick up your plants. Much cheaper and better than the API stuff.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Working...
              X