• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Angel's eating plants

Will do!
    A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

btw: I don't think they are ready to spawn yet. I have 6 in a 90 gallon but they are still small. I am starting to notice a little agression between three of them within the last week. I chased them with the stick this morning when they started to lip lock. I think it spooked them a bit.  How can you tell a male from a female? I'm not even sure what I have.  

Comment

It's really hard to tell on Angels until they actually pair off.  The females ovipositor will be more stubby and have a larger diameter and the males will be more pointed, like a pencil point.  It is possible to have two females pair off.  You will know for sure you have a good pair if the eggs are fertilized.  Unfertilized eggs will usually turn white with 24 to 48 hours after they are laid.
        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Thanks szidlon,
          I'll keep an eye out.

Comment

Originally posted by mahoro";p="
            well, crypt melt down when in new tank, maybe thats why the angel picks/eats it...
            That's exactly what I was thinking...it does look to be starting a "melting" phase. A lot of times that comes from changing environments.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The first picture was before I moved it. It was in that tank for 6 months. The second picture was after the angels ate it. Would it start melting within a day or two. It was in the tank for 5 days. The second day it was in there they started to eat on it. Today was the 5th day and I took it out this morning. Can they really die off that fast?

Here is how it went.
              Day 1 (Mon.)-Moved to new tank (same ph and temp)
              Day 2 (Tues.)- An Angel started to nip at it
              Day 3 (Wed.)- More angel's eating the plant
              Day 4 (Thur.)-After getting home from work, checked out the tank and posted on here. Angel's still eating on it.  
              Day 5 (Fri.)- Moved the plant back to the original tank.

Comment

Originally posted by edmlfc";p="
                Can they really die off that fast?
                I'm afraid so.  :(  I see that in the first picture it was in a cermic pot or something similar - did you move it back to the pot? Or just to the original tank?

It could very well be the change in substrates, as well. I've had a few crypts get mad at me for moving them into different substrates (or even the same kind but of a different age).

There's always a chance it could spring back to life, though!

Comment

my crypt melted til there was only the root left, then it regrow back in less then a month, now its growing like weed, its everywhere now...

Comment

I have the same substrate in both tanks. Also The same substrate in the pot.
                    I had just changed the substrate not too long ago. It was just play sand, then I changed it to aquasoil. It's probally been a few weeks now. When I changed out the substrate I put it in the pot so that I could move it to the new tank once I purchased one, to make things easier. That picture was taken the day after I changed the substrate and moved the plant to a pot. So it's my fault?  :(  I never knew plants could be tempermental.    Well I put it back in the original tank, so I hope it grows back soon. I won't move it again. It's my favorite plant. I love the colors. I guess I won't be thumping any angels/devils if that's the case.
                    Thanks for the info. It's good to know these things.  

Comment

Usually plants aren't that sensitive! It's just that crypts tend to be very moody.    

I hope the plant comes back for you!

Comment

My angel fish also eat some of my plants.  They nip and nip until almost all the leave is gone.
                        180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

Working...
                        X