Filtration Question for Planted Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtration Question for Planted Tank

So I have this 58 gallon Oceanic that nobody seems to want.... .  I sold the rocks and XP3 today and filled it up with some fake plants that I had laying around for the time being.  So what type of filtration would be the best to go with for a planted version of this tank.  Not really going to have too many fish in this tank if I decide to jump into the planted world so what do you need as far as filtration for a tank this size?

Anything in the CAK world planted tank safe???  I'm really new to this "planted world", so forgive the rookie questions.

Re: Filtration Question for Planted Tank

i would use the eheim 2217.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Well dang...  I guess I should have kept the XP3.

So what is the most important part of the filtration setup in a planted tank?  Are you looking for a large turnover rate?  Are you looking for a large amount of current or surface agitation?  Guess I should do some serious research before I jump into the deep end of this pool.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson";p="
        i would use the eheim 2217.
        I think that's a good choice.

For a 58 gallon, I'd look into pressurized co2 injection, as DIY can be a pain for larger tanks and excel is gonna be costly.

Otos, cories, bns, farlowellas, aspidoras and loaches will all do well in planted tanks. Probably other CAK members as well that I haven't kept in planted tanks.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

How bout wet/dry setups.  I have an extra sump here that I could probably retrofit into a wet/dry system if that might help.  Looking to do this as cost effectively as possible as well if I'm going to do it.  I know the pressurized CO2 system isn't going to be cheap so we can delve into that part later.

Comment

han,

The plant tank world doesn't follow the rules normally found in other fish tank set-up.  Don't get the wet/dry because this will remove all the co2 that your plants need. Also, you want the output/spray bar to be under water with little surface agitation to keep co2 in the water.

Plants need co2 to grow.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Fish take in O2 and give off CO2.   Surface adgitation is used to allow more water to come into contact with the air.   Then the O2 in the air has a higher partial pressure than the O2 in the water and O2 will enter the water.  And vice versa, the CO2 in the water will escape because it has a higher partial pressure than the CO2 in the air.  If you are going to add CO2 to the water, you do not want to stir up the surface.  The more water that comes into contact with the air, the more CO2 will escape.
              Dont know if you want to drill the bottom of that tank but a canaster is the best way to go.  No bubbles, no splashing over the wet dry, no surface adgitation.
              All of these will allow the higher partial pressure of the CO2 to escape through the surface area into the atmosphere.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by Hanson77";p="
                I know the pressurized CO2 system isn't going to be cheap so we can delve into that part later.
                This is a must! If you don't get this you will be very disappointed with the way the plants grow and the DIY stuff is just way to much work. But that's a story for another day.  

Ask EK, he knows a lot of people selling systems for cheap.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I'm with you guys now.  So do you really need a lot of turnover rate in a canister filter, hence the 2217?  Would a 2215 or even a 2213 do the job since there really isn't going to be a large fish bioload?

Comment

Does anyone know where I can get a CO2 system? I'm going to go ahead and plant the 100.
                    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
                    Alexa Rae
                    Co-President of CAK
                    MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

2217 unless you want to have the same algae problem MJ is having.

No surface agitation but circulation is needed to keep from having dead spots.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you don't mind paying off the shelf prices, I know AquaZoo had a full kit last time I was there.  I'm thinking it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 if my memory serves...Red Sea CO2 Pro System.

Comment

Thanks for the help. But David just let me use his.   It's that Red Sea CO2 system. I guess we'll see how it goes.  8O
                          Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
                          Alexa Rae
                          Co-President of CAK
                          MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Yeah that beats the off the shelf price by a bit.  Keep me posted on how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                              2217 unless you want to have the same algae problem MJ is having.

No surface agitation but circulation is needed to keep from having dead spots.

Yeah, my flow was on the low side.  I have raised it a little more just yesterday.  But still not on the max of 250gph.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X