UV Sterilizer on a Planted Tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV Sterilizer on a Planted Tank?

Does anybody do this and have there been any adverse effects? I have a 75 gallon moderately planted tank with discus and wanted to use this more as a roach motel for parasites since green water has never been an issue for me. As my live stock gets more expensive, I wanted an extra cushion of protection.

But will the UV also break down ferts? Will it affect Flourish Excel in any way? Will snails that get sucked in mutate into radiated Hulk Snails?

Petsmart is having a big sale on pond supplies and I already picked up a Laguna 8 watt sterilizer for my pond for $50 (orig. $200!) and was thinking of getting another one for my aquarium since the price was right.

Any other benefits or concerns?

The bigest problem with using a UV steralizer is that all the fish get used to the super clean water and their immune system gets weaker. So when they are moved to a tank without UV they are more likely to pick up any bugs in the water.

Hopefully you have a prefilter to keep snails and small fish fry from blocking the UV or getting fried.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

i ran a UV sterilizer on my 75g planted discus tank with no problems had healthy growth.
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Ah... good input. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
          i ran a UV sterilizer on my 75g planted discus tank with no problems had healthy growth.
          +1 mine was just a 55g

Comment

I was mostly worried about it doing weird things to ferts and Flourish Excel. Here's another question: what's better? In-line to a canister or in-tank power type?

Comment

Well
              In-tank takes up space but cheaper
              In-Line more expensive i belief work good

Comment

I installed mine on the return line from my wet/dry sump.
                all new water went into the sump first and got zaped before it reached the tank.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                X