Stunted Puffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stunted Puffer?

Hey so I got "Tonto" my Fahaka right around Christmas this past December. I had done lots of reading. He was just short of 2" (nose to base of caudal fin). Well, almost 9 months later, he is about 2.75".

He was kept in a 20 gallon for about 2 1/2 months and then moved to his own (basically) 125g.

Water params have always been good for this guy, i kept up with awesome water changes twice a week (40-50%), PH- 8.0, Nitrates always very, very low. I had done a few treatments with Prazi-Pro for Internal Parasites during the first month, just from various reading and that he was wild caught (of course). I always vacuum his sand, removing all uneaten food and waste.

He has always appeared very active with a healthy appetite. He has been fed an alternating diet of ramshorn snails, krill, and bloodworms in a rotation.

When I moved him into his 125, i stepped up his diet a little, 2-3 snails per day, 1-2 small krill every other day, his appetite is fine, I have no idea where he puts it!

His belly is always smooth and white, except right after a meal. I think I am familiar with signs of stress, discoloration, and how fahakas will curl their caudal fin when displeased or stressed.

He has a few tank mates that I view as non-threatening. He seems uninterested and unbothered.

4 in. Giraffe cat
    3 in pleco
    2 in red tip rainbow shark
    (2) 2 inch tinfoil barbs
    (3) 2 inch female auloncara cichlids

I would like to know if there is anything I can do for him to help him grow at this point, or did I just get a stunted fahaka? Is there something I did to stunt him? I have read that some grow 1 inch per month sometimes from that young. He seems happy and healthy, but if he is not going to grow anymore, I am moving him back to the 20.

Here are some pics

280g- Victorian, Hap, Peacock (mostly male)
    125g- Fahaka Puffer "Tonto" with a few live snacks
    75g- Pundamillia Neyerei 'Ruti Island' and Flavescent Peacocks
    20g- empty for now
    10g- Ramshorn Snail breeder "Tonto food"
    5g- Ramshorn Snail breeder

Have you ever treated for IPs? All Fahakas are WC and nearly all have intestinal worms. That would be me guess without knowing much more. What are your water parameters? They are highly sensitive to Nitrates, this could be something to consider. Our Fahaka has added 3-4 inches in about 6 months and we feed every other day. We water change and overfilter quite often (75%WC twice a week)and our Nitrates never creep above 10ppm.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

sounds like he has IPs
      Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Wow! 9 months and only .75" growth?!?? That's insanely slow!

Comment

Re: Stunted Puffer?

My initial thought was how long was it at a fish store in a small tank before purchased...
          20g mixed reef

Comment

Originally posted by nightster View Post
            My initial thought was how long was it at a fish store in a small tank before purchased...
            Definitely a possibility
            20g- empty for now

Comment

From original post "I had done a few treatments with Prazi-Pro for Internal Parasites during the first month, just from various reading and that he was wild caught (of course)"
              20g- empty for now

Comment

Try mixing table shrimp with garlic, it certainly did wonders with ours
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Re: Stunted Puffer?

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                  Try mixing table shrimp with garlic, it certainly did wonders with ours
                  +1 mine loves table shrimp, especially with nls stuffed in it!
                  20g mixed reef

Comment

Ok so I put him in a 20g by himself and am treating with prazi pro every three days for like 2 weeks maybe?

I will up the feeding a little, just spreading it out. His appetite has always been fine, I don't see a reason to add the garlic, but I guess it couldn't hurt.

Thanks
                    20g- empty for now

Comment

Hmm. What's your treatment routine? It's possible not quite long or strong enough to knock them out, is all I can think.
                      I treated ours with Jungle parasite clear fizz tabs, broken into chunks. Soaked the shrimp in it for 3 hours min, fed this (a small or half shrimp- enough to fill, but easy to pass) every day for 5 days. Took a 4-5 day break, watched the poo...didn't look like there was much difference, so I did it again. The garlic is also a good addition during treatment so they eat it quickly.
                      May be too easy a solution, but check your meds- make sure they're fresh?
                      Best of luck, hope the lil puff starts putting on some size!!
                      "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                      X