Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cichlid Tank Mates and other questions (I'm new to this)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, Purigen is what I added to my filter, I found the box. I'm pretty sure the color is from the driftwood because it was brand new and the coloration did not start until I added it. I will try to do a water change today and post a picture of my tank. The peacocks are africans also and not peacock bass.

Comment

Originally posted by batson325 View Post
      Thanks for all the advice. Yes, Purigen is what I added to my filter, I found the box. I'm pretty sure the color is from the driftwood because it was brand new and the coloration did not start until I added it. I will try to do a water change today and post a picture of my tank. The peacocks are africans also and not peacock bass.
      Glad to hear thats not a Peacock Bass, they can get hella huge. It sounds like a very solid Malawi tank thus far then, with just a few south americans mixed in.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Video of my Fish

I could not figure out how to upload pictures of my tank, so I put a video on here of my fish.

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
          Big filtration needs here...
          Lots of filtration...
          +1 This is a lesson I learned the hard way. Cichlid tanks require excellent filtration and very high flow, especially as the fish get bigger. They eat a lot and excrete a lot, and it has to be cleaned out by the filters on a constant basis. So whatever fish you choose to keep, consider the ultimate size of the fish (they grow faster than you might expect), and be sure to add sufficient filtration to handle them.
          Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
          • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
          • 29g Planted - Journal
          • 29g Planted
          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

your tank looked to dark. what lights are you using?
            75g Tank,
            2- Wild Scalare Angel 2-wild Angel snakeskin, 2-half blue half black Angels, 5-Guianacara Geayi, 4- Blue Rams(1m/3f), 1- L144, 1- Pleco unknown type 1-Blue Neon Goby
            2.5g Mini Monter - Shrimp Tank
            10-RCS, 1-Red Sakura 5-Malawa, 8-Boraras Brigittie, 1-Adonis Pleco, 1-Zebra Nerite, 1-Horned Nerite
            10g Tank
            Hospital 2-F. Endlers

2-29g Empty Tank, 20L Empty Tank , 125g Empty Tank[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by R_sustaita View Post
              your tank looked to dark. what lights are you using?
              Some just prefer lower lighting. But the tannins can also affect how bright the tank looks.
              All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

I'm sorry you got such poor advice before. But you did well to post on this forum. Do some reading on the different types of fish you have in there (and they are all lovely), and like everyone else already suggested, pick one type. We are all always changing our tanks and our fish, so it's not like you have to stick with the fish you selected if you decide later that you'd rather have something else.

Best of luck, and do keep us posted! Pics/vids always welcome! :)
                All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

thanks. Yes I agree that it does look dark, its mostly from the tannins, but the bulbs say Power-Glo 15w. There are 2 of them.

Comment

Just curious, where did you get your EBJD from, and how much? :o

Comment

Fishland on Westheimer for $25. Fish Gallery had them also at the time for about $30

Comment

Working...
                      X