Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discus desease

>>.
    Last edited by specialone0812; 06-27-2009, 11:33 AM.

Last edited by specialone0812; 06-27-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

call Dan at HAW. He treats his Discus with Formalin and has not losted a Discus since I have been working there. We get sick discus all the time, and he just makes them "not for sale" for a few days, treats them, and they look/and are completely fine in just like two days. The stuff is bad if it gets on your skin though. Or they sell a milder version called "formalin" at LFS. He has it as well. It works also.
      250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Formalin will treat external parisites. From the symptoms you describe it sounds like hemmhoragic septicemia...similar to what we call blood poisoning in humans. You can try broad-spectrum antibiotics, a combo of Maracyn and Maracyn II, but ususally when the disease progresses to the point of the body hemmhoraging it's too late. The initial 20 gal tank was way too small for 8 two inch discus. Moving diseased fish to the 55 may infect that tank with whatever bacteria caused the disease. You should probably treat the wholle 55 now.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Last edited by specialone0812; 06-27-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Tony, even though your larger fish were fine, you've put infected fish in with them. If they were my fish, I'd treat them all.

Mark
            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I agree. And after you treat them, up those water changes, if this is a bare bottom tank, in excess of 50% would be good, daily. Clean water can go a long way to keeping healthy, big discus.

Comment

Mark, you know ehat store have broad-spectrum antibiotics. i bought Maracyn 2 at city pet last time. but im not sure they have broad-spectrum antibiotics

Comment

Tony, by broad spectrum I meant gram positive and gram negative. Maracyn II works on gram neg bacteria. Maracyn works on gram pos. Use the two together. Many lfs sell both.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

oh got you. i will go and buy some for them.

Comment

how much metro. do I give my discus with white stringy feces ???

Comment

Working...
                      X