No announcement yet.

Project Pescado Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I chose the spray bar to not have a strong current. I know there is water flow within the tank since I can see the plants and algae sway, but it is not being pushed around like in my other tanks with power heads. I am working a deal right now to hopefully secure 5 turquoise checkerboard discus and 5 of another variety, maybe pigeons blood. Have also added a few Amano Shrimp. They have all escaped but 2. One still in the tank and the other is stuck living in my bioballs. I have now used filter floss pads cut and wedged into all openings and around the plumbing with hopes to get more and keep them in the tank. i also used gutter guard to make a netting around the overflow box, up to the glass top in order to keep the shrimp and tetras out of the overflow.
    Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
    29 gal (Planted Puffer)
    10 gal (snails and small planted)
    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

I'm so glad that drift wood is getting good use. It would probably still be in my back yard right now...
      College = fishless for now. Vicarious living!

Comment

Can I ask why you didnt just paint the background??? Your tank looks really good in the darker picture...in the bright picture, the background looks really cheap. You are on course to having a really cool tank, I would suggest just painting the background a darker blue (navy even) and change out the intake parts to black pieces. City Pets will probably have some stuff you can put together...if not, pm me and I will get you some.
        250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

given that your tank is up on a red wall...I would suggest having a dark (navy or black) background and then use Red Discus...they will really pop off the background and go with the room as well. The good thing about discus is that you can pretty much match them to the decor of the room...sounds silly, but we have clients request this all the time. It works pretty well. Here are some examples of fish being matched to the room decor...just an option. Your tank looks pretty solid though.

250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

I do not want to paint the tank. I like the look of the cellophane and mylar due to the illusion effect it gives. Trust me when I say it does not look like the lighter picture. that picture is flooded with light and the reflection off the mylar from the flash. I also just don't like the solid color discus.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
            5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
              I am kind of interested in the wide jet pipe. I wonder if it will help my fronts take up more of the top water column as opposed to spray bars on either side of the tank.
              That's what I suggested. When I kept discus (w/fronts) I opened the wide jet pipe by dipping it in boiling water and shaping it with a pair of pliers. The water flow was great for the discus.

When I started keeping my zaires and later mobas, I reshaped the wide jet pipes using the same method and closed the opening some. I keep the wide jet pipes (I have 2) about 1/2" to 1" under the water's surface and they are quiet.
              180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Comment

i really like your cabinet you did a great job with the stain and the canopy is the perfect size for the rest of the tank. i do however agree with newb about the background....i would paint it to get a more even classy look since that is what the rest of your tank looks like. if you really think you like the way it is then maybe try to get a better pic because the one you posted does make it very obvious that its cylophane. the only other thing that I see is that the center plant looks alittle off to me for some reason, it looks very placed, i am not sure if i can really describe it but thats is where my eye goes everytime. i do really like the large peice of wood with the large river stones and cannot wait to see which discuss you pick...i am like you i am not a fan of the solids either. overall i really like it so far.
                Last edited by nikkijean1; 12-22-2010, 11:36 AM. Reason: sp
                I love my baby girl!

Comment

OK the first batch of Discus have been added. Look for pics over the weekend as I get my new lenses and such.

I guess now this can be moved to the Discus forum and add Journal to the end of the title.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                  5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Here are just a few new pics.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

more fish

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                      5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

I like it bro!

Could use a little more light to make the colors pop.

You working with photoshop?
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

did not use any photshop on the pics, just raw. My batteries in the sb-600 and very old also. The discus like to hide, so I just grab a shot when I can.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                          5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

You using the d90 on these pictures?

Using the sb-600 as slave yet?
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I have been lazy. I have remote triggers and all, but have not hooked it all up. I just leave the D90 with sb-600 attached sitting on table next to the tank so i can grab a shot when I see the fish out. as soon as the flash goes off they hide. don't want to stress them so i just take one in the morning and one at night. some come out, but most don't. I got 2 7ft tripods with my 180w strobes. hope to hook them up over the tank once I get the fish calmed down. But I also plan to add 5 more discus soon.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                              5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

while feeding this morning the kids decided to come out and place so i snapped a quick few. Sorry for the quality, but at 6am I am still not quite with it.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                                5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Working...
                                X