No announcement yet.

Recent discus pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearly I'm a little out of the loop on water changes and growing out fish (haven't done it actually). So, if I can negotiate a 75 somewhere, go with 8 -10 juvies ("juvies" being defined as about the size of a silver dollar), how many water changes (and percentages) are we thinking I need to do to avoid stunting them ?? Assumptions are the same; good filtration, bare tank, and lots of food. Be advised, I am not fearful of water changes, just wanting to know the recommended amount for the project. The end game is to have some discus that look like Mark's .......then maybe build out a community tank around them---- the plants, driftwood, some cardinals, couple of rams ....... your basic south american flavor ----- that would be really cool. Am trying to get as many of the variables covered beforehand ----- don't want to spend a couple of grand learning it all the hard way if I can help it.

Comment

For the record --- as we speak I am growing out 7 angelfish in a 37 tall ----- bot them on 11/9/10 from Houston Aquatics -- the bodies were about a quarter in size. Using the 4 - 5 water changes (30 -40 %) along with alot of food has gotten them well over the size of silver dollars . Still have a lot go I realize, but that amount of water changes seems to be working. Are angels and discus somewhat different in their needs for growing up and out ??

Comment

Yes other than altums discus are need far more care. I never messed with juvies because of the time. From my studies it is recommended to feed them as much as possible, I have seen people do as many as 6 feedings a day. How often you feed will dictate the amount of WC. But regardless I would say 70%+ a day would guarantee the best water conditions.
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
        28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Where can one find red spotted greens in Houston?
          Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

I haven't seen any wilds in Houston in a while. Check out snookn (John) on simplydiscus.com he has wilds of all kinds at low prices. John is a nice guy too.
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
              I haven't seen any wilds in Houston in a while. Check out snookn (John) on simplydiscus.com he has wilds of all kinds at low prices. John is a nice guy too.
              Snookn21's fish is pretty pricey. I see 75-300 per fish
              Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

For wilds that's cheap as all these are adults in the 5"+ size. Discus aren't cheap for adults. Most adults non-wild run around $75+ per. Adult wilds run $125+ per
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I got my original wild RSGs from Dan when he had HAW for $75 ea. They were 3 to 4 inch sub-adults that finished growing in my tank.

Mark
                  What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
                    I got my original wild RSGs from Dan when he had HAW for $75 ea. They were 3 to 4 inch sub-adults that finished growing in my tank.

Mark
                    Yeah I understand that you're paying premium for wilds and to me they are worth it. But it's hard to buy a more than 2-3 discus at a time when people like snookn21 and Hans are charging 80-300 per fish. However, seeing your RSG have made me want to switch over to wilds maybe eventually some nhamunda blue heckels.

You have some outstanding RSGs mark. I hope that I get to come across some beauties like yours!
                    Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

Yeah it's all up to you and what you want.
                      Resident fish bum
                      330G FOWLR
                      34G Reef
                      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

ive ordered from john, i recieved 2-7 inch plus tefe greens for 75 a piece and it was only 42 dollars shipping. not to bad, very good quality also, they were big and beefy ready to eat out of the bag. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                          Yeah I understand that you're paying premium for wilds and to me they are worth it. But it's hard to buy a more than 2-3 discus at a time when people like snookn21 and Hans are charging 80-300 per fish. However, seeing your RSG have made me want to switch over to wilds maybe eventually some nhamunda blue heckels. !
                          In simply they were/are organizing a GROUP BUY of wilds.. i don't do wilds.. so i don't really look at them..
                          however.. Good quality adult fish will always cost money up front.. but its a safer buy then juvies.. that cost less

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
                          N.A.D.A Facebook
                          Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X