dire warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dire warnings

It just occurred to me today to question something I've read and seen assumed ever since I started this hobby. It's about aquaria and temperature fluctuations.

All of the fish I have from anywhere near the equator or places known for their heat are in tanks with heaters. The rest? Do I really need to worry about fluctuations all that much? Aren't they used to big temperature drops when the sun goes down? As Winter approaches, I'd like to keep my habit of starting to open the window a bit on brisk, cold days. Is there a reason for me to worry? I wouldn't mind adding a heater to the tank closest to the window and keeping it on a low setting, but I just don't know if that's necessary.
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

depends on what fish you have, me personally, i have some gymnogeos that are said to HAVE to have temperatur fluctuations or they will fade and deteriorate....but if you ask me, the less fluctuation in general, the better
    I make people happy

Comment

I always run heaters and keep temp at 79. when I change water in the winter I keep it at 79. IMO with trophs I do not want temp flucuation. But alot of people don't run heaters and do fine.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

+1, i dont run a heater with my trophs and do fine, but there are alot of fish that have to have a heater.
        FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Originally posted by OrandaMan View Post
          Aren't they used to big temperature drops when the sun goes down?
          Larger bodies of water don't experience much in the way of daily temperature fluctuations.

I would put a heater in the one near the window if you're planning on keeping it open to the chilly weather, since an aquarium has a much smaller amount of water and is more susceptible to fluctuations. But on the others I think you'll be fine without a heater.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

yep, what she said.
            25g - Reef
            3.5g - Surge Tank
            10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Working...
            X