questions about PFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about PFS

I'm rescaping my 120 this weekend and I bought a bag of pfs for substrate. my question is about how much will I need, the tank is 72" X 16"? I just bought 1 50lb bag from wharehouse pool supply. also, how does one go about rinsing sand? this seems easier said than done.
    ‎Haiku's are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

Just something to note, if this sand isn't Leslie's brand PFS, be careful. I've heard some horror stories from people who've used other brands and had everything die on them in no time at all.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I tried going to leslies, but the two stores I went to were sold out. I know this is the same stuff my father uses in all of his tanks and so far he's had no problems. it's more brown than the leslies which always looks kind of whitish in pics. the bag says that it is salica sand
      ‎Haiku's are easy
      Refrigerator

Comment

I would strongly recommend you wait until Leslies has more but if not, you'll need at least 3 bags of it to get an inch on the bottom of your tank. I used 4 bags in my 125g and I probably could have used more.
        If it ain't wild caught
        You ain't doing it right

Comment

hrmmm, I don't think I fell like waiting since I know that this stuff works okay, I will see if leslies has some more tomorrow and maybe just buy a couple more bags from them is possible and mix it all together
          ‎Haiku's are easy
          Refrigerator

Comment

I had a 72x16x24 120g Oceanic and it looked good with two 50lb bags. I've only purchased Leslie's b/c it doesn't require much rinsing and is light in color. I saw some pfs at Home Depot once and thought the color was too dark.
            Last edited by jsnoravo; 01-22-2010, 12:40 AM. Reason: grammar lol

Comment

It all depends on how deep you want your bed. I personally would only go with 2 bags but thats me.
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

you can calculate how many lbs you will need for any depth sand bed here http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/calculator.php
                25g - Reef
                3.5g - Surge Tank
                10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

just finished, one bag was fine, I probably could have used another half bag but I like where it is at. I appreciate all the help and advice guys
                  ‎Haiku's are easy
                  Refrigerator

Comment

just saw this thread...

i used like ~150 lbs of the black beauty in my 180 and i got like a 2" bed...

Comment

i only used 2 bags in my old 72x18x22 125g and it gave me almost 1.5".

btw, post some new pics once the wood is in there:)
                      FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

the wood is in there, I'm just waiting for it to sink, every rock I had couldn't hold em down. I did have to do an ultra quick cycle on the tank though, and I'm afraid I may have lost my malawi eye biter. I'm giving 50/50 shot. he lays on the bottom on his side, but he's breathing, then it'll go swim the tank, and then lay on his side again. everyone else is just kind of chilling too.
                        ‎Haiku's are easy
                        Refrigerator

Comment

did you rinse the wood prior to adding it to the tank?

also, this driftwood will release tannins and lower your ph.

my 48x18x18 65g tank has 4 huge pieces of that driftwood in it and it releases alot of tannins, when i do a wc it raises it to nealry 7.5ph, and then within 4 days, it lowers it to almost 6.3ph.

i have been bringing my water to get tested at ultimate fish.

your eyebiter needs a ph no lower then 7.4-7.5.

if he is subjected to a ph of like 6.5 or lower he will likely die.

your sa/ca cichlids shouldnt be bothered by it.
                          FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

yeah, i have a piece 2/3 its size in my 65g and i had to use 2x 14lbs river stones to hold it down.
                            FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

I hosed it off as best I could, but since I live in an apartment space is limited. i did just lose the malawi and now my snooks are acting strange laying on there sides
                              ‎Haiku's are easy
                              Refrigerator

Comment

Working...
                              X