eggcrate divider question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eggcrate divider question

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but my question is. What if any is the good and the bad about having a tank divider made of the material they call eggcrate?
    Forget the dog.
    Beware of fish!
    :ertrink:

some fish need to be introduced to each other slowly, especially for breeding (Flowerhorns and other larger cichlids for example) the egg crate divider will allow them to get to know each other without beating the snot out of each other. It also lets you, if you are so inclined, to divide your tank in two and be able to keep 2 species in the same tank that normally couldn't be kept together. I think we have one member right now using it to keep 2 different species of large puffers in the same tank.

That was the good, the bad is that those same larger fish you are trying to keep separated can usually smash through the egg crate if they really want to. It also sticks out like a sore thumb in the tank.
    Last edited by stevenallenbarnard; 03-26-2011, 10:03 AM.
    ‎Haiku's are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

Comment

ok lets say that i have a 40g growout tank and divide it in half....will the fish growout like its in a 20g or will it grow to a 40g?
      Forget the dog.
      Beware of fish!

Comment

small fish can swim through eggcrate. so keep that in mind. if you were to divide a 40g in half your fish would grow like they were in 20g.
        ‎Haiku's are easy
        Refrigerator

Comment

I think it's more a factor of water quality than actual tank size. If you keep up with water changes, the fact that the tank is divided in half by eggcrate shouldn't affect the growth rate of your fish.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

good point, all you are doing is cutting down the swimming space. What kind of fish are you trying to separate?
            ‎Haiku's are easy
            Refrigerator

Comment

was just wondering really you know. all i have right now is a juvi green texas in a 20g....its good info to know for future reference though. thanks guys
              Forget the dog.
              Beware of fish!

Comment

Working...
              X