cycling issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by utsadude View Post
    For the record, I wasn't saying any of the before mentioned methods were wrong/bad. I'm just cheap and patient. Lol.

Poor 987klb. I think we all jumped on this topic and scurred him away.
    All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

+1
      125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

For the record, I wasn't saying any of the before mentioned methods were wrong/bad. I'm just cheap and patient. Lol.
        I view it as the natural way of doing it.

I've had to add bio spera once out of all the tanks i've cycled.

Comment

Like I said, feeder goldies.

Cheap, expendable, big poopers, bacteria farms.
          that's the best way keep some in there for sometime and if they survive you did good if they don't sometimes wrong but don't worry if they die that's the circle of life.

Source: Lion King
          46 Gallon Bowfront, GT & L187b (2)

Comment

+1 the use of bottled bacteria. I've used both Safe Start and Stability on freshwater tanks with excellent results. With the seeding you've already done I would just grab some Stability, add some fish and do the 8 day treatment. Problem solved.

I've also used Bio Spira on a reef tank with excellent results as well.
            180 - reef
            30 - reef

Comment

So what your saying is I should use the "bottled" bacteria as directed to help grow my bacteria colonies to help keep my "tap water ammonia" at bay when I do water changes..I got it! Im just confirming the info.
              So when I test my water this afternoon I hope I get 0ppm Ammonia and 0ppm Nitrite and then a high nitrate..redose it, and get this same result for like 3 days, then do my (90%?) H2O change and I should be cycled? oh and also be adding the stability as directed.

Comment

If it were my tank I would do a 50% WC - then follow the directions on the stability. Even with what you've done I would do the 8 day "new tank" directions. It's just easy insurance for $10/15. Keep in mind you need to add fish when you start it. If you're not ready to add fish then don't start it (this goes for both products). Don't completely stock the tank, be reasonable with your additions but you need the ammonia source for the bacteria.

See here: http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...Stability.html
                Directions: Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 40 L (10 gallons*) on the first day with a new aquarium. Then use 1 capful for each 80 L (20 gallons*) daily for 7 days. Fish and other aquatic species may be introduced at any time as long as dosage is maintained for 7 days

Safe Start is one dose and done (harder to find - a little more $)
                Stability is an 8 day dosing schedule (most fish stores carry it)

Any ammonia in your tap water (post cycle) should be consumed/converted by the bacteria population established in your tank.
                180 - reef
                30 - reef

Comment

Completely agree with JasonC. Also, Stability not only contains bacteria but also a carbon source for them to use. If you don't have fish in your tank, you also don't have a source of energy for your bacteria (despite that you may have ammonia and nitrite). You can just do the Stability and get your fish 24 hours later if your parameters look good. It should work... it did for me and a ton of other people.
                  All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Working...
                  X